22.5| Epilogue

The moss on the grey weathered stone seemed to stand out oddly. It felts as if it didn't belong there. I still felt that he should be here either so I guess the moss was just claiming its rightful territory. Cohabitation, I thought.

I reached out, my fingertips meeting the cold stone. He had lived a good life, I always tried to remind myself of that.

I traced my finger of the lettering of my father's name. I wished they could have used his own writing as a stencil.

"I'm having another one, Dad," I whispered, placing a hand on my stomach. I wasn't yet showing. "No, I haven't told him yet." I laughed, "I thought I'd tell you first, like I did last time." I frowned. I hadn't exactly told him myself last time.

I brushed away a few of the grass clipping and dead flowers and replaced them with the newer bright yellow sunflowers I had brought with me to the cemetery. "There you go Dad." I said with a smile on my face. "I'll see you later."

I pulled my trench coat tighter around myself as I made my way back to the parking lot, it was a bit chilly, winter was approaching and it was going to be our fourth Christmas together as a family and I was excited to give Keaton his present. I'd need Mabel's help this time.

🌻🌻🌻

"So I give Daddy the box?" Mabel asked, her little head tilted to the side as she looked at the Christmas wrapped box.

"Yes baby, its his Christmas gift." I answered with a smile on my face.

"What's in it?" She asked now excited at the mention of presents.

"Can you keep a secret?" I asked her, looking over my shoulder secretively.

"Mhm," She answered bobbing her head eagerly and leaning her ear towards me.

"You're going to be a big sister," I whispered.

Mabel paused and tried to comprehend what I had told her. She pursed her lips and mumbled lowly to herself, "I'm going to be a big sister?" She asked again.

"Yes," the grin on my face nearly ripped the corners of my lips, "that's right."

"I'm going to be a big sister!" She shouted. I hurriedly put a hand to cover her mouth. Mabel blushed. I removed my hand from her mouth, "Sorry." She said again, this time in a whisper.

Mabel jumped up and down and hugged me. I rubbed her back, "Now we just have to wait a few more days to tell Daddy and Me-maw."

🌻🌻🌻

The years following the death of my Father, Christmas had become my least favourite holiday. I still remembered crying in my bathroom early in the morning and having to wipe my tears and smile for Mabel and Ryan.

Now, I no longer had to do that, Christmas morning started at our house at our house, and continued  at my Mother's house. I was surrounded by all the people I loved.

For my Mother, Christmas was still a bit tough for her, she would wake up early and visit my Father's grave before coming back home to get the meals started. She confided in me that my moving back into town was the greatest gift I could have given her, this year, I was going to blow that gift out of the water.