Chapter 3

Pink and orange hues painted the sky as the sun began to rise over the horizon. The cool sand sent goosebumps springing from my bare legs. I drew in a long breath, holding it there. Refreshing. No other word for it. Everything was so pure here. So untouched.

The air in Oak Grove was always polluted. I could practically see the thick green smog hanging over me, smothering me anytime I stepped foot outside. Stan Setter insisted on running his 1941 Pontiac Streamliner every morning so the engine wouldn't get stale. The fumes made the air thick and unbreathable. Miss Moore across the street always had to smoke a full pack of cigarettes on her porch before noon. I'm surprised that woman was still alive at the age of eighty-three and has not kicked the bucket from lung cancer yet. Hell, I'm surprised the people around her haven't dropped dead from the second-hand smoke.

The sun crept over the water slowly. A couple of kids in matching pink shirts walked along the shoreline collecting trash and admiring the same view. I always wanted to do that. Be a part of some kind of club. But, my mom could never afford the twenty dollar admission fee that was required at the Oak Grove Recreational Center.

"Coffee?" Ellis asked, sitting next to me, handing me a large white mug. I took it reluctantly. "Such a beautiful sight, isn't it?" He lifted the mug to his lips and took a long swing.

I watched him intently. As if the way he drank his coffee could give me some insight as to who Ellis Banks really was.

His fingers tousled through his unbrushed deep brown hair and ran down his strong jawline, which was covered with dark stubble. The sun illuminated his hazel eyes. I always thought I received all of my traits from my mother, but I was wrong. I was the spitting image of Ellis. The same hazel eyes with flecks of green around the pupils, same facial features, hell, we even drank our coffee the same way- left hand under the base while the right hand held the handle. The two of us lifted our cups in unison and drank. I lowered mine to my lap before he finished his sip I didn't want him to think we were the same in any way.

"So, I have a couple of meetings today. While I'm gone you can go down to The Plaza and treat yourself to some things for your room."

"I-I..."

"I know your room isn't fully decorated. I just thought that would be something you would like to do." Ellis looked at me, then back to the sunrise.

"I don't have any money for that." I scoffed. I looked down into the mug and watched the black liquid swirl around as I mentally kicked myself for being such a bitch. And yet not enough.

"I know." He held his sliver credit card out to me, "my treat."

"No." I held up my hand in protest and furrowed my brow at this grand gesture. There was no way in hell I would take hand outs. Especially from Ellis.

"Then why don't you go and look for a job. You can pay me back for anything you spend." He continued to hold the card out to me.

It was tempting. I fought back and forth with my inner voice. Take it. Don't do it. Take it now. Ellis arched his perfectly thick, yet groomed, brows. I snatched it from his grasp without thinking about it any longer. The card I held in between my fingers was a lot heavier than I'd imagined.

I glanced over my shoulder at the large mansion behind me. If Ellis had all of this money, where the hell was the child support? Why were my mother and I living day to day hoping we would have enough money for our next meal while he was living like a king? Ellis and my mom were keeping something from me. I knew it. I was going to find out even if the answer killed me.

***

People walked along the cobblestone streets of The Plaza. Men wore tailored suits and women were covered in diamonds and had designer bags hanging from their dainty wrists. I felt so out of place in my plaid button-down and denim shorts. I should've had my hair professionally done just to walk around this place.