Chapter 26

My skin was slightly burnt but not unbearable. I cleansed my freshly washed skin with aloe before wrapping myself in the plush hotel robe. I left my bathroom and walked into the living room where Ellis stood in his matching robe holding up a freshly pressed suit. He turned towards me revealing Clarissa who was standing, grinning widely, next to him.

"Good, just in time. Clarissa is ready for you."

"It's great to see you again, Love," she cooed. Her attention was put back on the suit in Ellis's hands while I tried to steady my breathing after seeing her. She plucked a red tie from the chair next to him and held it up to his face, slightly, and purposely, caressing his cheek. My skin finally began to sting, or maybe it was just my blood boiling beneath its surface.

"Perfect!" She squealed, "the color brings out your eyes." Her tone was soft with a hint of seduction. Ellis cleared his throat and plucked the tie from her dainty fingers. "Now, Talia, come with me." She picked up a small duffle bag from the floor and took my hand, practically dragging me to my room. Everything in my body was telling me to rip my arm away. Maybe even slap her in the face a little. But I did nothing.

I sat on the vanity chair completely stiff. How could Ellis so reluctantly accept this woman back into his life after what she said and did?

"What are we going to do with this hair?" Her fingers tangled in my damp locks, tugging on them causing me to writhe under each pull. "Shall we curl it?" She coiled a piece of my hair tightly around her finger causing me to hiss in pain. I could see it in her eyes in the mirror's reflection, she was getting slight pleasure out of my pain. She grabbed my shoulder waiting for a reply and I forced a smile.

I let her blow out my hair and didn't try to make any conversation. I had no words for the woman. I felt bad for her, for what she might be going through with her husband, but I couldn't get over the way she spoke to me.

She began to curl my hair and the hot iron close to my cheek was unsettling.

"So, I know what you must be thinking," she began, "after that night you saw with me and your father, well, that was a dark place and I regret my actions deeply." Her tone seemed genuine. "You know hormones. Sometimes they get the best of us women." A forced laugh escaped her lips, but she sucked it back in immediately. "I've just been going through a lot with Charles. I love the man deeply. But with him not getting that big promotion... He's just..." She drifted off and became quiet. Was she full of shit just to make me feel better about what I saw, or was she really having problems with her husband?

Once my hair and makeup were all set, Clarissa laid out a few dress options on the bed. I scanned over them. Each one was more gorgeous than the next. I stopped in front of a short silver one with a high neck but plunging back.

"That one is so sexy." She held it up in front of me.

"It is hot," I said in awe.

"Well then, you get changed and I will see you at the restaurant." She laid the dress down and packed up her things. "These shoes will look great." She tossed me a pair of strappy silver heels before trotting out of my room. Our interaction went better than I thought, but I was still so confused about everything.

I quickly changed out of my robe and into the dress before meeting Ellis in the living room once again. He stood in front of the wall-sized mirror adjusting his tie and putting on his golden cuff links.

"Looking dapper," I said, admiring his light grey suit.

"You look beautiful as well." He looked down at his watch and adjusted his tie one more time. "I think everyone is down there already. Are you ready to go?"