Chapter 18

Ryland parked his car around the corner of The Clarke's house behind a dense bush. We ran up the driveway, not a car in sight. They weren't home yet, but who knew how long it would be before they returned. Ryland tugged on the front door. It didn't budge. I kicked myself for thinking it would be that easy.

We stood in the darkness, trying to conjure up a plan on how to get inside. Ryland tugged on various windows, all locked. He pulled on my arm, leading me to their backyard before hopping over the white fence. He yanked my arm and I fell over the fence with a lot less grace. The back door clicked open that led to the kitchen. He shot me a 'are you ready' look. A wave of relief washed over my body as I nodded a single 'yes'.

The house was dark causing my relief to be replaced with panic once again. Ryland followed close on my heels as I led us to Charles's office. It seemed like he hadn't been in there in weeks. Everything was in the same exact spot as it had been when I first came into this room. I slid the file under the large stack of papers next to his computer. I took a moment to breathe, finally ridding myself of that burden, one that I should have never taken in the first place. Nodding at Ryland, we walked down the hallway back to the kitchen.

Click.

We stopped dead in our tracks and turned to face the front door. The lock twisted open. My body lurched forward as Ryland pulled me behind a wall. The kitchen door was so close, and yet not close enough. My body pressed against Ryland's as he clutched me tightly. His heaving chest crashed against my back while one of his arms held me close and his other hand covered my mouth to steady my shaking breath. His calloused palms scraped against my lips. As fast as it creaked open, the door slammed shut as the couple entered the house.

"Get over here!" Charles called out as Clarissa ran into the kitchen.

My body tensed at the sound of his harsh tone. Ryland clenched me tighter as though he could sense my fear. Their shadows passed us, causing us both to stiffen. The two were in the kitchen and we remained unnoticed in the shadows of the dark house. They hadn't turned on the lights yet.

"Why the fuck are you doing this to me again?" His voice filled with desperation. Ear shattering sobs from Clarissa flooded my ears. All I wanted to do was to scream to drown out the noise but his hand tightened on my mouth. "I see the way you look at him. Am I not enough for you? Huh? Answer me, dammit!" Glass breaking on the ground echoed through the house. Ryland's body quivered against mine. "Come here! What are you doing?" Feet shuffled on the floor.

"Get away from me!" Clarissa screeched.

There was another sound. A sound I had never heard before. The sound of ripping flesh and the sound of tick liquid dipping on the tiled floor. Tears streamed down my cheeks as my eyes bulged. I dug my nails into Ryland's bare arm, but he didn't wince at the pain. My breathing quickened as I squirmed under Ryland's grip. I had to get out of there. Another moment of shuffling and a knife was thrown, landing in our sight. The polished blade covered in a thick blanket of blood.

Releasing his grip ever so slightly, Ryland peeked his head around the kitchen.

"Come on," He mouthed, tugging on my arm. My legs dragged on the floor as they were frozen with fear. He opened the front door and pushed me through it causing me to fall onto the wooden porch. My nails dug into the planks, hoping to control my shaking body. He closed the door carefully before pulling to my feet and running off of their property.

"Oh my god! Oh my god!" He stabbed her. He killed her. She's dead. The thoughts swirled in my head. The blood. The knife.

"Calm down, please," Ryland pleaded, grabbing at my flailing body while attempting to pull his keys from his pocket.

"No. No. No." My head spun.

"Just come sit in the car, please." He grabbed at me once more but I ripped my arm away. Nausea exploded in my stomach. I hunched over vomiting my fear all over the street. That was two times now that Ryland had ever seen me vomit. Did I care? Not at that moment. The sound of ripping flesh echoed in my head. Grabbing my ears, I tried to block it out. My feet felt as though they were lifted in the air and my vision went black before hitting my head against something hard.

***

"Do you know where you are?" Ryland said, his voice calm as he hovered over me, tugging at my eyelids. My body felt relaxed as it was surrounded by warm blankets. A dull pain throbbed against the back of my head.

"No," I choked. As my vision became clear, it was obvious I was no longer in the middle of the street.

"You're at my house now." Realizing I was in Ryland's bed made me jump out of my skin. I know what he did with Kristen right in the very spot. Ryland held up a small trash can. "Are you going to throw up again?" I just might, but not for the reasons he was thinking.

"No. I'm good." I pushed the bucket away. "What day is it?"

"You were only passed out for a couple of hours." How was he so calm about everything? Did he not remember what we just witnessed?

"I should probably head home." Attempting to stand up, Ryland grabbed my shoulder.

"Are you sure?" I nodded as he helped me from the bed. During the drive, the two of us didn't talk. Ryland held both hands on the wheel, keeping his eyes locked on the road ahead. I wondered what he was thinking and why he hadn't brought up what happened. What really did happen? He stabbed her that's what happened! The scene kept replaying over and over in my head, but the more I thought about it, the more jumbled things got.

As soon as I walked into the house, the light flicked on and Ellis stood right in the middle of the room, arms crossed over his chest, eyes glaring.

"Where the hell have you been? Do you know what time it is?" Actually, no, not really. It was as though he read my mind, "well, it's one o'clock in the morning." I didn't attempt to push past his strong stature. Instead, I just stood there and let him glare at me. I sure as hell couldn't tell him where I was, then I would have to tell him why I went to that house.

"I was hanging out with Ryland and we lost track of time." His arms fell to his sides, more relaxed.

"Oh?" Shock, but a little excitement, thickened his words. "He is a very nice boy." I cocked my brow at his intrigue. From what it sounded like, he definitely wanted me and Ryland together, as a thing. Though the idea wasn't too bad, there was no way in hell that would happen. I mean the guy saw me puke, twice, and despite my sexiness and charm, I wasn't his type.

Ellis shook his head, getting rid of the slight smirk on his lips. "Either way, you should've called to tell me where you were. I was worried sick."

"Next time." I passed him and walked up the stairs. That was very fatherly of him, worrying about me and all. I should've stayed down there and talked to him, but I needed to clear my head.