Chapter 22

Rain fell. Harder and harder. Echoing as it bounced off the asphalt. Matted hair clung to my cheeks which were warm with emotion while the rest of my body shivered violently. My pace had slowed once I was away from any kind of civilization. Not a car passed and street lights began to diminish and instead were replaced by large trees and shrubs. If I didn't know any better, I would've thought I was back in Oak Grove. Maybe I could hitch a ride there. But, I knew that was impossible as the pavement turned to a dirt road. And, even if I did want to go back to Ellis's house, I didn't know my way back.

Any form of shelter seemed like a fleeting hope. I assumed I would have to take shelter by one of the large tree trunks for the night. But my thoughts of that faded when I saw a small building lit up a few paces down the dirt road. A couple of cars were parked around the solitary building. An open sign flash on the window and the glowing sign above the door said "Twist" with the W and S dimmer than the others.

I hesitated before opening the doors. This place seemed very out of character for Harbor View. But, the rain was beginning to feel like acid on my bare cold flesh and I couldn't take it any longer. Warm greetings echoed in my ears once I swung open the door. A wooden and rustic bar sat in the middle of the small space with a few high top tables surrounding one pool table which was scuffed up, but that didn't seem to matter to its players.

My feet kicked a few empty beer bottles that littered the floor as I walked to the bar. I slumped down in a chair next to a woman whose striped crop top exposed her rolled belly that exploded over her jeans, while on my other side sat a younger man with sunken eyes who twiddled with a tiny drink umbrella in his muddy fingers. It was safe to say I wasn't the most fucked up looking person in this bar. And, sitting there surrounded by cigarette smoke, soft hums of country music, and people that looked like they could slug back twenty beers and not feel the slightest bit tipsy, really made me feel at home. I laughed to myself just imagining Kristen in a bar like this.

"What can I get you?" A large man with a white horseshoe beard leaned across the counter. I couldn't drink. My senses were already impaired with rage. But when in Rome...

"Bud Light, please."

"Draft or bottle?"

"Draft." He got my drink and slid it to me. I smiled a thank you and lifted the glass to my lips and took a long swig. I could stay in this bar forever.

The bartender handed me beer after beer, but the weight on my shoulders was heavy enough to suppress any kind of buzz. A couple of men hollered around the pool table and it only brought back memories of my date with Holden. The same night Ellis and I really connected only to be ripped apart by his stupid affair. My hand tightened around the glass.

"Another?" I shook my head at the bartender's offer and slammed a twenty-dollar bill on the counter before heading to the door. I thought bars were supposed to be a place to forget about shit, but boy was I wrong.

A pair of headlights blinded me as I stepped out of the bar. As I neared the black car a rush of familiarity suffocated me. It was Ellis's car. I froze for a moment before bolting down the darkened road. The car followed close behind. My chest tightened. I couldn't run any longer. I skidded to a halt, hunching over, trying to steady my heaving chest and suppress the vomit that threatened to explode from my mouth. The car stopped next to me. I refused to get into that car with Ellis. I didn't want to confront him yet.

My body went rigid as the tinted window began to roll down. Ryland sat in the driver's seat. Concern filled his eyes.

"Do you want to get in and tell me what the fuck is going on?" I slid into the passenger seat without protest. His nose crinkled. "Oh god, are you drunk? I smell the beer pouring out of you."