Chapter 25

For days I had my phone plastered to my hand. I didn't know why though. Ryland didn't contact me at all, except the day after seeing the car he wanted to check-in. But after that, nothing. It was hard not to question my own character. Did I do something wrong? Push him away? Was he back with Kristen. I was leaning more towards that last one as time went on and it left me unsettled, to say the least.

Randall seemed to notice my unease. He had been cooking my favorite omelet with tomatoes for the past three days without my asking. Of course, I happily accepted this kindness. But, the few savory moments of mouth-watering eggs and ripe tomatoes still wasn't enough to get my mind off of things.

Ellis emerged from his office clutching a suitcase handle just as I popped a cheesy tomato bite into my mouth. He let the bag go to pluck a plate out of Randall's hands with breakfast on it, mimicking my own. Sitting at the table across from me, he delved into his breakfast before speaking.

"So, how was your night?"

"Fine." I eyed the suitcase sitting by the couch. "Going somewhere?" He followed my gaze and dropped his fork, swallowing his large bite of egg with a chaser of orange juice.

"We, actually." My brows peaked with interest. "I do this annual weekend trip with a few of my colleagues and close friends. We go to Hillcrest. There is an amazing beach resort over there." Close friends? The only close friend I knew Ellis had was Mark Pierce. If I was invited, Ryland probably was too.

"I'm in," I said with a nod, not thinking twice. If I wanted Ryland's attention, I could have just called him or even just sent a simple text. But, I am not the kind of girl who chases men, begging for them to notice me. No. He needed to be forced to face me. And, being in the same place, a luxurious hotel, hours away, was the most perfect place.

I scrambled to my room after finishing breakfast to pack my things. Apparently there were a few fancy dinners on this little trip. I scoured my closet and nothing fit the dress code. My hands tugged my hair in frustration. I contemplated not going, but I had to. A few aggravated grunts were enough to prompt Ellis into walking in my room.

"Are you almost done? I want to be on the road in ten minutes." He glanced around my disheveled room and it was pretty clear I would not be ready in ten minutes. "Do you need assistance?"

"I have nothing to wear." He glanced around my room once more at the various tops and pants thrown around on the floor and bed.

"I don't see how that's possible."

"For the fancy dinners." I waved my hand in the air.

"Oh. There is no need to worry about that. Just pack some day clothes." Ellis began to leave but I stopped him.

"How am I supposed to not worry? I don't have any dresses."

"I told Clarissa to bring you a few dress options." My heart stopped beating and I practically stumbled over as I took a step back.

"What?" I choked out. "Clarissa Clarke? Why the hell is she going to be there?" My words came out like a giant cluster. Did he forget what happened between the two of them? What that bitch had said to me? Did he lose his mind?

"I know what you must be thinking." Like hell!

"Obviously not." My arms crossed tightly over my chest as if holding me back from lunging forward and slapping some sense into the man.

"The two of us... We worked things out. She apologized for her behavior and I admitted I should have been more professional. The two of us have known each other for years and she is good to me." In more ways than one. "We must all find forgiveness in our hearts." With his wise words, he proceeded further out of the room.