Chapter 30

A day at work was just what the doctor ordered to keep my mind off of everything. Making espressos and toasting customers' bagels was the perfect way to do it. I decided to walk to work instead of driving. It was even more of a way to distract myself by listening to the shuffling of people's feet along the cobblestone path to the cafe.

I brushed a few strands of hair that had fallen from the security of my hat out of my eyes. Boisterous laughter prevented me from doing this little task any further. At a small table outside the cafe sat a group of people. Kristen and Holden were among them.

Just ignore them and walk inside.

I tried to convince myself that was the best thing to do, but my feet had a mind of their own. They pulled me to the table with incredible force. The laughter stopped and all faces were glued to me.

"Well, look who it is," Kristen said smacking her lips together in a pleased way. It was like she knew I would show up and do this. I wanted to rip her lips, which were the brightest shade of red, right off of her face.

"Can't stay away from me I see." Holden tugged the brim of my hat. I ignored him by balling my fists, digging my nails into my delicate palms. I shouldn't have done this. The other people at the table snickered, causing my cheeks to burn.

"What do you want, Talia?" Kristen rested her elbows on the table. Her brows arched waiting for my answer.

"Leave him alone," I said through tightly gritted teeth. They were so tight, it was hard to get in a steady breath.

"Excuse me?" She scoffed. "Like I have any idea what your crazy ass is talking about." More snickers.

"Ryland. Leave him alone. He doesn't need someone so toxic in his life like you."

She grunted a laugh. Smacking her lips one more time. "Who the hell do you think you are?" She stood up so we were eye level. "I can have that boy anytime I want. He is wrapped around my damn finger," she twirled her finger in the air for dramatic flare. "Like I'm going to let some trailer trash tell me what to do. As if you think you know what he wants."

"I know he doesn't want you anymore."

She scoffed, "whatever. You aren't worth any more of my breath. Just go back to your shitty ass town with your junkie mom." She fluffed her hand in my face. I grabbed her wrist and pulled her toward me.

"Don't start with me bitch," I spat. "I almost kicked your ass once, don't try me again because I won't back down until you are bleeding out on this floor."

"Holden, handle this." I was ripped away from Kristen and Holden held me tight, pushing against the wall.

"Where's your hero now?" He grinned, taking pleasure in the fact that he had complete control over me. But, I never bat an eye.

"Getting someone to fight your battles?" I called out to Kristen. She just stood there, arms crossed over her chest. She tried to look superior, pointing her nose up in the air. I could kick her ass in three seconds flat. I just had to find a way out of Holden's grip.

"So, how's my father?" Holden said, his grin widening.

"Fuck you." I spat. I kneed him in the groin and he released me instantly. I wasn't going to spend time wondering how Holden found out about me and his father. All I cared about was Kristen and beating her perfect ass into the ground.

I charged her, knocking her off her feet. A few bystanders gasped at the sight, but no one jumped in to stop it, not wanting to mess up their perfectly styled hair, or manicured nails. My first blow was to her jaw. Then, her forehead. Her hands searched blindly for my face, clawing at any skin she touched. The acrylic stiletto shaped nails on her fingers cut through my skin, leaving droplets of blood trickling down my face, but I didn't care. Blow after blow her face blended into a bloody mess.