Chapter 7

† Finnegan †

Humiliation was the first thing that flooded his mind and body. He leaned on the closed door and took a deep, steadying breath to calm himself.

Confusion quickly followed, as he realised what Gustavo had said. 'The guard' could only be Anthony, which meant that he had told the manager that he would not be working again for a few nights. But he did not have the power to do so, did he?

Finnegan was too frightened to think clearly.

He closed his eyes and thought about this awful night. Spencer had calmed him so easily, with sensible words and unconditional love. Then Anthony had returned from his raid, forgetting even to knock before entering the room and Finnegan had rushed into his arms. He still suspected that it was that reckless action that prevented the guard from being angry or jealous to find Spencer in his room, lying on his bed with him.

Spencer had been a dear and left quietly, signalling that he would write soon, while Finnegan clung to Anthony like a helpless child. He had barely been capable of nodding his thanks, as the best friend he had ever had climbed out of the window, so that he did not have to pass them on his way out.

Thinking about it was embarrassing, but Anthony had not made it uncomfortable. It was Finnegan's own ego that made it feel so. Anthony had been nothing but loving and considerate; stroking his hair, whispering soft words of comfort as he asked what was wrong and what had upset him. Then, as he explained, the guard had held him and promised that it would never happen again.

It was so hard to believe.

Now, after having to face Gustavo, his knees felt weak. He slid down the door and flopped to the floor, breathing hard. He had not expected to see Gustavo again, but now that the vampire had reappeared, Finnegan realised something.

Spencer was right.

Not only did Anthony make his stomach flutter with excitement but, the moment those strong arms were around him, he flooded with warmth and calm. Gustavo had not caused that same reaction, not even after weeks apart. There was a hollow, empty feeling within him that suggested the way he felt for Gustavo paled in comparison to what Anthony made him feel.

Disappointment had no place alongside love.

Finnegan did not realise how the time flew, as his thoughts tumbled, until a push against his back warned him that someone had attempted to open the door. He scrambled away and watched Anthony poke his head through the small gap, with a frown.

"Finn," he sighed, in disappointment, "you promised to sleep and rest, while I was gone."

He nodded and held out his hand, as he realised his knees still felt too weak to raise him from the floor. The moment Anthony's hand clasped his, he rose and stayed close to the guard, seeing him in a new light.

"Gustavo was here," he blurted, feeling a need to confess everything to the guard who had saved him so many times.

He could not count the nights when the strong, tall force had entered his room to surprise him, only to find his schedule had been changed and he was with a client. When he was not in harm's way, Anthony left and claimed it was a mistaken room, but so often he had walked in just as Finnegan had begun to fear for his safety and well being. There was a look the guard gave him, on those nights, that said he would not leave him alone with his client for all the money in the world.

"Why?" Anthony asked, gruffly.

It made him smile.

Finnegan pressed his hands to the guard's chest, feeling oddly weak and vulnerable. "I do not know. I think, perhaps, he wished to apologise and make amends for leaving in the manner he did. But I told him it was no use," he confessed, as the cat was out of the bag already.