Chapter 10

† Finnegan †

Finnegan was still smiling as he stepped through the front door of Anthony's apartment. He unwrapped the scarf from around his neck and hung it on the coat peg, where he was surprised to find Anthony's outer coat hanging. He struggled to recall if he had worn it this evening, though he had to imagine he had, as he had taken his scarf and it had been a terribly cold night.

"Anthony!" he called, as he unbuttoned and removed his jacket. He hung it over his scarf and proceeded into the living room with his package from the book store. He was halfway across the room, heading for the bedroom, when Anthony emerged from the bedroom with a grin. "Is something happening?" he wondered.

"Yes!" Anthony crossed to him and grasped both hands, before leading him into the bedroom. "I have a surprise. Sit here...and close your eyes," he asked, guiding him to the bed, where Finnegan sank onto the mattress and closed his eyes.

It was difficult to be patient, while knowing there was a surprise on the way; Anthony gave the best surprises.

"Hold out both hands," he said, speaking softer and closer to his ear. Something light but textured touched his skin, then Anthony kissed his cheek. "Happy four week anniversary," he whispered.

Finnegan laughed and opened his eyes, turning to stare at his husband, who had surprised him beyond any other surprise he had sprung in the last four and a half months since they solidified their relationship. "You think four weeks makes an anniversary?" he asked cheekily.

Anthony shrugged, but continued to smile as he gestured to the parcel in his hands. "Perhaps it is not a true anniversary, but it is a milestone that deserves to be celebrated," he announced, with excitement.

He agreed, but did not say so just yet. He looked around for the package that had fallen from beneath his arm, when Anthony urged him into the bedroom.

Once he located it on the floor, he lifted it and passed it to his husband. "And this is my anniversary gift to you," he confessed, feeling a blush rise on his cheeks. He no longer felt so embarrassed about the gift Spencer had helped him pick out, claiming that a landmark anniversary should be celebrated even if only by one of them.

Now he did not have to worry, as they had come to the same conclusion.

Anthony looked startled, but pleased as he ripped open the brown paper packaging. Inside, there was a small box with a book of fighting techniques unique to vampires. It had appeared in the store nearly four weeks ago and he had caught his city guard gazing at it, inside the front window, ever since.

"Finn!" He laughed in disbelief and turned to grin at him. "How could you afford this? I thought we had decided not to spend our money until we had moved?" he asked, in the same sense of awe that Finnegan felt for his own husband.

"I am guessing it was the same way that you were able to purchase my gift," he tormented, as they had made such a promise to each other. "But, I would count anniversary gifts as an exception," he bargained. Finnegan decided that was his cue to unwrap his own parcel.

Anthony nodded and watched him eagerly, as the paper was carefully removed and placed on the bed beside him.

Finnegan could not help but gasp as he found a very old book staring back at him. The binding was leather and slightly frayed at the top and bottom of the spine, while the gold embellishes on the text had faded.

"It is not new," Anthony began, in a tone that could only be considered apologetic, "but it is a first edition and I hoped that may be enough to excuse the condition." He stared so intently, in expectation of his reaction, but Finnegan could barely think clearly to reply.