Chapter 5

† Harrington †

Jaycob's voice sounded softly from the doorway. Too afraid to release a sigh of relief, he kept quiet and watched his potential attacker turn towards the sound of Jaycob's voice.

Oh no! He may have just put Jaycob in danger. About to leave his hiding spot and call out a warning, Spencer emerged at Jaycob's side.

"Put that knife down!" he demanded, his usual authoritative voice having an effect on the attacker, who immediately froze in the darkness. "Do you think I cannot see you? You have no idea who you are dealing with. Put the knife down and hand yourself over for arrest. Immediately!"

Before the man could react – though Harrington was sure he saw a flick of his wrist that suggested putting the knife down was not his intention – another figure emerged from the darkness and grabbed him by the neck. As the man squeaked a short sound of protest and lashed out with his knife, he was dragged towards the door, where Spencer stepped back and guided Jaycob inside, as if everything had gone according to plan.

Terrified of what had happened and not knowing what else to do, Harrington stepped out of the shadows. He was almost at the door, about to call out that he was safe to reassure Jaycob and his father, when a shadow blocked the space and he cried out, unattractively, in a cry of alarm.

"It is alright, darling. The man is dealt with," a familiar voice soothed.

Finally feeling relief, Harrington threw himself forward and felt only relief when Camryn encased him in strong arms. "I am so sorry. I have taken this shortcut a thousand times, since I was barely more than a child. I was always alone and I never saw another soul until tonight," he gushed, in apology. He did not want either Camryn or Jaycob to feel at fault for this error of judgement. "In truth, I have never ventured on this path so late into the night, but I assumed it was safe. It was my own fault."

Camryn soothed him as he patiently drew him into the protection of the building – which he was relieved to find did have a back door.

It took a few minutes for Harrington's panic to subside and allow him rational thought, again, but once it did he was ready to beg forgiveness and promise never to venture onto that path ever again.

"Good." Jaycob nodded, as he emerged from the protection of Camryn's chest and arms. "I am glad to hear that you will not take such a route again. Though I must ask why you ever thought it appropriate, in the first place. Harrington, there is not one single escape route!" he objected, gesturing wildly as he gave his caring lecture.

Harrington laughed and clutched Camryn's shirt, too afraid to let go in case he fell to the floor in shock. "Honestly, I never thought about the dangers. I simply thought that it would save me some time, which would give me more time with my father," he confessed, finding no shame in wanting that, now that Camryn had also told him how greatly he had desired an attentive family member in his younger years. Not having one had led to them both making unwise decisions.

"Well, I am glad to say the man was nothing more than a pick-pocket, though it could have been much worse," Spencer chimed in, with criticism of his own. Right before he approached Harrington and ran an appraising hand over his arms and head. "No harm done, though. You survived this night, but I must agree with Jaycob. Another outing on this path and you may not survive it. Best we find you another shortcut," he said, with a subtle wink that Harrington had a feeling only he was meant to see.

He smiled back, but refused to let go of Camryn, until Spencer heaved a sigh.

"You, however, really must be more careful." He huffed and gestured for Jaycob to leave the room, which he did with a withering glare that demanded Harrington behave. He nodded in reply to the look, but otherwise kept his attention on Spencer, who poked his finger into Camryn's arm. "Your boy will patch you up, then you will walk him home. I want to hear no argument from either of you," he demanded, turning on his heel and leaving, before either of them had a chance to ask what he meant.