Strangers Once Again: Prologue

October 26th, 2114

† Elex †

Elex lay awake on the cot the shelter provided, unable to sleep for the swirling feelings of emptiness, failure and guilt that coursed through his body. He had failed to protect Norman, yet again. Failed to find a job, which could give him the money to provide a real home and real nourishment for his body and soul.

All because he had been too weak and too proud to ask for help when he most needed it.

Turning on the cot, to see his son sleeping peacefully beside him, he thought about how things could have been different if he had just asked for help when Norman's mother died six months ago. Those first three months of juggling work, Norman's care and the sense of grief, while having to pay for the bills associated with his business, the funeral and organising the distribution of all of his wife's possessions amongst her family, as per her wishes, had left him feeling emotionally raw and physically drained.

If he had simply applied to the King for an official period of mourning, all of his business payments would have ceased for a month, his shop could have closed for that time and Elex could have focused entirely on grieving and caring for Norman. But, he had been too stubborn to ask for help. Too proud to realise the harm it would do to have his own way.

Now, he had no shop, no home and no respectable school would accept Norman without a home address or the reassurance that he would be able to supply and care for his own books.

Elex had failed in so many respects that it was a miracle when Norman woke that afternoon with a smile. He had not seen his son so happy in months. "Morning, noodle," he whispered across the space between them.

That sunshine smile grew, then Norman flipped from lying on his back to lying on his stomach and lifted his pillow from the cot. Just as he was about to apologise and explain that Jaycob's story of the tooth fairy had been to cheer him up, but did not promise he would receive a gift in exchange for his tooth, Norman gasped.

"Papa!" He turned with the most exquisite look of wonder on his little face, one that Elex had not seen in so long that it made him want to cry. "Papa, the tooth fairy left us treasure!" he gushed, scrambling from his cot to cross the small distance between them so that he could perch by Elex's side.

When his little boy handed over the piece of paper in his hands, he half expected to find a small treasure hunt that would lead to a sweet or a toy of some sort that Jaycob had generously left Norman to discover. Instead, the note surprised him.

Dearest Norman,

I am very busy this year, with lots of little boys and girls losing teeth due to the snow and ice. But, a friend told me that your greatest wish is to have a home and go to school. I hope that this gift will lead you to that future.

But please remember one important thing...not all wishes come true on their own. Sometimes people like your daddy and my friend must work very hard to make those wishes come true. I can help a little, but the rest will be up to you. So please be strong and brave, as you head into this new adventure.

I hope you enjoy it.

Mr Finnegan will be waiting for you, at two o'clock on Monday, for your first class at school. There will be two older boys beginning for the first time, on the same day, so you can be scared together and help each other be strong.

All my love,

the Tooth Fairy.

Elex's heart swelled with the words Jaycob had left his sweet boy. Norman was a practical child and always had been, but he had truly feared that the thought of a magical fairy granting gifts would perhaps make him too reckless. It was not, after all, good for any child, especially a poor one, to think that things could appear from nowhere or that wishes made from the heart would come true. That road would only lead to disappointment.

"That is a fine letter," he approved, smiling at Norman, who beamed back at him. He was about to hand the note back when he spotted writing on the reverse side. Turning it over, Elex marvelled at the 'gift' Jaycob had left, the treasure that Norman had no doubt discovered and been so excited about.

His heart gave another painful squeeze of love and gratitude, as he read the details of the job advertisement and the note Jaycob had left, stating that he had an interview to apply for the position. His first goal of the evening had been to check the board for new advertisements, as the last had proven a disappointment only yesterday evening, when the interview did not go as planned.

Norman had taken a fall while playing with the local children and the interview had been interrupted by the secretary informing him of the state of his crying child. When his potential employer discovered that Elex was a single father, he suddenly changed his hopeful tune and apologised. The job was just not suited to a single father, as it involved frequently travelling throughout Prosper's kingdom.

Once he knew that, he accepted that he was not right for the position and left on good enough terms, but it still stung. He had been willing to travel for the job, even if it meant taking Norman with him and home schooling him. Elex saw no sense in arguing; it was better to leave with a friendly demeanour and the potential for a professional relationship in the future as to ruin such a prospect by disagreeing with such a powerful man.

"Can we go, papa?" Norman asked, jolting him from his disheartening thoughts.

"Go?" he asked, not following his train of thought.

"To find the treasure," Norman insisted, shifting to sit on his knees so that he could place his hands on Elex's shoulders. "I would like to find it with you."

Elex gave the information another glance and nodded. "Alright, noodle. We have two days," he said, looking up and offering Norman an understanding smile. "Do you know what we will need, before we attend the interview?"

Norman scrunched his nose and thought hard. "You will need to have your suit cleaned. I will need to have my good clothes cleaned. And you will need to investigate what the job requires," he recited, remembering it all from their last conversation on the matter just a few days ago. He gave a nod once he was sure he was finished, looking adorable and sweet with his mussed hair and sleepy eyes.

"That is so. And we shall have to thank Jaycob for speaking to his tooth fairy friend, should we not?" he hinted, reminding his son that this gift had not come out of thin air. It had been given to them, through friendship and compassion and understanding. It was only right that they thank Jaycob for his kindness and thoughtfulness.

"Where will we start, papa?"

That was a good question. Elex sighed and sat up, finally accepting that his day had begun, a little earlier than he had planned, and without the benefit of rejuvenating sleep. "I believe it will be best if you attend classes with the other children as planned," he said, reminding his wayward son that there would be no change to that daily event. "And I will find out if there is any work required on the accounts. When Spencer returns, I will seek his help to run through a practice interview. When that is done, we shall have our meal and see what tasks we can help with in the late evening. Does that sound fair?"

Norman nodded, though he looked less than pleased about it. But, despite his protests, he was the most learned four year old that attended the hospital classes in the children's ward and it had done him nothing but good to be around the other children. It may not have been the structured school he needed, but he was yet of an age to begin such a thing. And even Spencer had agreed that he was wise not to enrol Norman in Finnegan's school until he knew where his permanent, or even temporary, job may be. It would be unfair to allow Norman to settle into a school or class only to move him, later.

After everything he had put his son through, Elex knew that he owed him this much. A good school, a home and some stability. But to get that, he would have to sail through this interview and be accepted for the position; a miracle that he could only pray would come true. To have a home and a life in the same community that Norman already knew and loved would be a dream come true.

Thanking Jaycob for that opportunity was the least he could do.