Chapter 5

† Serafina †

Returning to the afternoon classes was easier, after talking to Elías. He had cleared up the matter of the letter and given her some things to think about, before writing a reply to her parents. Hopefully, whatever she managed to put into words would ease their minds and let them know that she wasn't the monster they now thought she was.

Sitting down at the desk she and Sister Margaret had been working at, that morning, she took a few minutes to centre her thoughts, as the other students entered and went about their own tasks for the class.

When she opened her eyes, she was surprised to see Sister Margaret sitting in front of her, with a faint smile that felt ominous. "Elías told me that you spoke about your parents. I am glad to see that you are making friends and that you have someone you can open up to," she said, startling her with the claim that Elías had been talking about her. "It is difficult to be new and feel alone. I am glad he was able to help you understand your feelings about the letter from your father."

Serafina chose not to say anything about the letter. She didn't appreciate Elías running his mouth, just as she had begun to trust him, but she also knew better than to lash out at these nuns. Sienna was right, they weren't exactly pushovers.

"May I tell you a story?" Sister Margaret asked softly, keeping her voice low, presumably to keep the other students from hearing.

For that fact only, she nodded her agreement.

"Elías told me that he explained Sister Destine's story to you, so I thought you may like to hear mine," she explained, neither her posture or tone implying what direction that story may take. "I recently endured my own trial, though I must admit that I had to endure it because of my own stupidity and ignorance. I had my magic stolen from me by a human with a powerful talisman. For a while, I was nothing more than a babbling, unhinged individual," she revealed, looking sad and almost conflicted as she spoke.

Serafina did not have a good feeling about this story.

Sister Margaret either did not notice or did not care. She continued, regardless of whatever must have shown on Serafina's face. "The Sisters here took great care of me, when I could not care for myself. Yet, it was not them but a young man who saved me from the dark hole of insanity where I had been placed." She smiled as she said that, her eyes warm and gentle. "He was braver than anyone I have ever known, perhaps with the exception of Sister Destine. He wielded the power of his own warlock nature so effortlessly, more easily than I could ever manage, but he also managed a feat that had not been heard of, never mind practised, in eons...he connected and harnessed the power of all warlocks of the world."

Serafina stood, knowing where this story led and unwilling to hear any more of it. "And he saved you. He saved everyone. He saved the entire world!" she raged at her teacher. "Yes, I have heard this story before. My wonderful brother, the all powerful Jaycob. Warlock and genius and favourite of all who meet him. What use is this story to me?" she demanded, wanting to know why she had to keep hearing about Jaycob's miracles. Why, every time someone tried to speak to her of magic or of the gentler emotions in life, they used Jaycob as an example.

"I am trying to show you that anything is possible when you accept your magic, Sister Serafina," Sister Margaret insisted, her tone so pitying and gentle it enraged her further.

"Stop calling me that!" she screamed, not caring that she had drawn the attention of the entire class with her outrage. "I am not your sister. I am not a nun. I am a child, and at every turn I have my brother's miracles and abilities thrown at me like a weapon. An example of all that I should be but can never be." Unwilling to listen to another word from this imposter's mouth, she turned and ran from the building.