Chapter 1

March 24th, 2115

† Elex †

"Where would a fantasy novel with a gay romantic couple go?" Risteph asked, his brow crinkling with confusion.

Elex almost laughed. It had been a month since Risteph and his lover returned to Rolfesson from the commune and married. He had yet to adjust to what he called a 'normal' life.

Leaving his office at the top of the single-width spiral staircase, Elex descended with a fond smile and thought of how far the young man had come.

Though Risteph must continue to wear the gifts from the prophetess – a necklace, ring and a bracelet – for the rest of his life, he had responded well. He barely recalled the worst incidents magic had caused in his life. Which was a relief for Elex; as the manager of a book store, they would routinely have to serve customers with magic, even those as latent as Spencer's gifts. They had an entire room of magical texts in the basement, protected by an old spell the prophetess had gifted to the previous owner of the library.

If Risteph was to work with him and succeed here, he must be able to deal with magic and magic users without panic.

"I believe that you speak of Spencer's latest tribute to his sons?" Elex asked finally, as he reached the main floor and crossed to where Risteph puzzled over a group of three large volumes.

It was especially gratifying to see his new assistant reading the back cover with a confused frown, because the book – though he did not know it – was about himself. In fact, it was only when Spencer offered the three recently published volumes to his library for free that he explained Risteph's history to Elex. He thought it important that he be aware of the boy's history before hiring him, if he faced the risk of stumbling across Spencer's latest literary works.

And, indeed, it had proven to be an interesting and heartbreaking tale. He could not deny that he felt like a father to the boy, who had not heard from nor seen his own family in nearly three years.

Elex could not imagine surviving so long without seeing even a glimpse of Norman. Thankfully, his little noodle was attending Finnegan's school and enjoyed learning so much that it would be impossible to get him out of the library during his free hours. He counted himself lucky every day for such a wonderful son and the opportunity to spend so much time with him.

Risteph snorted and looked up at him, finally. "It says it is about a magic user and a villain who is not as evil as he first seems," he explained, as though Elex did not know the plot and content of every book within his library. "I have no doubts that it is some thinly veiled worship of Jaycob and Averie. I may have to bring it home to Jake, or he may never forgive me for knowing of its existence and not telling him."

The fact that he laughed at his own words soothed Elex's fears further. He now felt confident that he could trust Risteph with the magic texts, if he needed to, without fear that he would panic or suffer some magical malady just by being near them.

"Perhaps not," Elex disagreed, taking the book from his hand, as he recalled Spencer's warning never to allow him to actually read the books. Risteph could touch them, organise them and loan them to other readers, but never know the contents. " I believe this story contains information that you and Jake are not to be privy to. Perhaps one of his earlier works, instead? I hear that the story of two knights has been published," he suggested.

The faint shadow of knowing crossed Risteph's eyes, before he shrugged it off. "Sure. I think Jake would like that," he said, his voice suddenly dismissive and less excited than it had been before. The playful note was gone, replaced by a slump of his shoulders that said so much without the need for words.