Chapter 7

One Week Later: April 7th

† Elex †

It was quite apparent that it was a full moon, when Elex walked into the Royal chamber and found Jaycob's wolf curled up in front of the fire. Such an instance was only allowed on a night such as this, when the behaviour of wild animals was often affected by the moon's change. And, as such, Jaycob's dear wolf was tormented by strange behaviours that the young Prince attributed to his resurrection, so many years ago. Ever since, Keno had simply never been able to cope through a full moon without being by Jaycob's side.

It was both endearing and disturbing. Yet, he thought nothing of allowing Norman to rush towards the animal and hug him in greeting. Keno was not the dangerous one, even on a full moon.

Turning his attention to the gathering, Elex nodded a hello to Jaycob and Averie, a little surprised to see Risteph and Jake sitting beside them. He had not thought them privy to the finer workings of the royal household.

At the back of the room, Rence stood guard at the door, his posture still, his eyes straight ahead and showing no sign of having spotted Elex. Perhaps that was for the best; he had still not decided how he felt about the things that had been said on their last meeting. In one way, his heart had rejoiced to hear that Rence planned to return to him as soon as he was able, but his head reminded him of the dozen ways he could have been contacted, to be warned of the falsehood of his union.

All the years of their friendship that came before that awful night, which sealed their fate, could not convince Elex to forgive so easily. He still felt the sting of betrayal and the hurt of knowing that Rence had not told him such an important part of his life. If he had thought that he must fake a union to another one day, Rence would have been the first person he told, with promises of never allowing that falsehood to diminish their love, promising to unite with him as soon as the dissolution of his false union allowed it.

Rence had done no such thing and that, above all else, was what prevented him from offering even a smile in the guard's direction.

To his great relief, just as he took his designated seat in the front row of the chairs laid out for today's hearing, the doors opened and Prosper entered, his arm linked with Spencer's so regally. The pair were the epitome of class and dignity as they walked through the room and only stopped once they had reached the podium where Prosper placed himself.

Spencer moved aside to stand close, not taking a seat amongst the audience, but offering his unwavering support to his husband, both physically and with a small smile that Prosper returned before speaking.

"Thank you for coming today," the King said, looking so very handsome and regal in his official royal crown and garb. "Today, we hold a hearing for the thief who stole from Elex's library and violated the safety of that building," he continued, looking around the room only for his eye to stall on one man.

When Elex snuck a quick glance, he spotted Risteph offering a nod to the King, while his husband grasped his hand and rubbed his arm consolingly. So he had been right, after all; Risteph had been more unsettled by the intrusion to a supposed safe place than either Elex or Norman had.

"The Royal Guards were diligent in their duties and investigated this man's background. So, before we bring him in to plead his case and answer for his crime–" he paused there and eyed the couple behind Elex once again, "Jake, would you please brace yourself? Spencer and I wished to warn you beforehand, but I hope you understand that the laws of our justice system forbid it."

For a moment, Jake looked startled, but nodded his agreement and clung even tighter to Risteph's hand. Beside them, Jaycob added his hand to the pile of clutching, nervous grips and watched the door for the revelation that was to come.