Chapter 1

*ring ring ring*

The sound echoes through my ears as the bell rings to indicate for us to move on to our next class. It's my last and least favorite class of the day, English. I just don't get the need, I can speak English and that's all that matters. I set my stuff down on a desk and sit next to my only friend, Renlee. I have ADHD and Dyslexia so it's hard for me to focus on anything. 

"Ms. Grace," my teacher, Mrs. Harrison said sternly. I look up, confused. "I said, can you give us the summary of last nights reading?"

"No, Mrs." I said quietly 

"Why not?" She said, obviously angered by my defiance.

"I didn't read it Mrs."

"That's what I thought, this is your last warning before I recommend you for expulsion!"

"Yes, Mrs." I barely whisper. I CAN NOT get expelled, my step-father, Carl, would kill me. Last time I got kicked out of a school, he beat me and didn't feed me for a week. My lip got cut open and it was really hard to hide. He told me if anyone ever figured out what happened at home, he'd kill me. 

"Now class, can someone give a summary of last nights reading, or are all of you as incompetent as Ms. Grace?"

My face flushed in embarrassment.

"I can, Mrs." Said Mare. He's such a teachers pet. My head wandered as he gave a long, boring summary of the story. Before I knew it, the bell rung. I gathered my things to leave, but Mrs. Harrison held me back.

"Look," She said, "I understand you have dyslexia and ADHD and it's really hard for you, but you need to ask your father for help. I still hold you to the same standards as everyone else."

"Yes, Mrs." I said

"Now run along," 

"Yes, Mrs." I walked out and met Renlee. We always go to the park after school until dinner time. I have to avoid Carl as long as I can. 

"What was that about?" Renlee asked

"Just her usual lecture about how she holds me to the same standards as everyone else and blah blah blah."

"You do need to get yourself together if you don't want to be expelled. You're step-father would not be happy."

Renlee is the only one who knows about my step-father. I trusted her and she's done nothing to betray me, yet, so that's good.

"I know," I started, "but I feel like—- like...."

"Trouble finds you?" She asked

"Yeah," I said

We put our stuff down on a bench and started to run around the playground. We were having a great time until Lynn, the school bully came over."

"Look who it is," she mocks, "It's the messed up b**** who can't do her homework."

"Leave her alone," Renlee said

Completely ignoring Renlee, she continued, "You never met your daddy, mummy didn't love you, so you got left with your step-father. How sad."

"Yeah well at least unlike you, She doesn't take out her insecurities out on other people to make herself feel better."

I could feel my blood boiling. Lynn always knows how to get on my last nerve. Suddenly, the wind starts to pick up as I glare at Lynn.

"Aww, that things angry." She said

All the sudden, storm clouds appear and lighting strikes nearby. Lynn and her "friends" scream and run. As the get further and further away, I calm down and the storm leaves, weird. I look to my right and see a girl with blonde hair holding a boy with black hairs hand staring at me. Also, with them there was a girl with short black hair and another boy with black hair and they both had an emo appearance standing next to a boy with curly blonde hair. I shake it off and turn back to Renlee. 

"Did you see that?" I asked

"Yes," She said, "that was odd. But we have a problem."

"What?"

"It's past 5:00."

Shoot. I need to be home by five to cook my step-father dinner, or else. I quickly tell her bye and start running. I see the emo boy poking the blonde and pointing at me. They start to run my way, but I don't worry about it. Oh my gosh, he's going to kill me. I run about two miles and arrive home at 5:45. I take my shoes off outside, take a deep breath and open the door.

"WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!" I hear Carl yell. He comes closer to me with a bottle of alcohol in his hand. I step back.

"I had to stay late and help my teacher," I lied

"YOU KNOW YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO DO THAT!"He screams in my face as he dropped the bottle on my foot. The glass breaks, cause several cuts on my feet. I try to hold back tears, but then he slams me against the wall and screams several curse words in my face. He draws his hand back and punches my nose, causing it to start bleeding, heavily. 

"GO START DINNER, FREAK!" He demanded 

"Yes."

He slaps me, "What did you say!"

"Yes, sir."

He nods and I walk to the kitchen. I start boiling some water and put noodles in it. I had started the sauce before I left for school. I serve him all the pasta and sauce and grab the trash bag to take outside. I open the door and start to walk down the stairs that lead to our townhouse looking home. It has two bedrooms but neither are for me. I sleep on the couch. I walk down the street to the trash cans. I open the big trash can and throw the trash bag in. I brush off my hands and turn around and gasp. There were the five kids watching me earlier.