Chapter 6

Avery's POV

The car stopped and I think we got to our destination. Yay! I'm excited. Will took the keys out of the ignition and pocketed them. Suddenly there was a loud roar. All the older kids exchanged looks and Nico grabbed my hand and we started running. We ran past a big tree with a blanket on it.

"Stay here," He said, "do you understand? DO NOT leave this place!" 

I was a little scared of him, cause he was yelling. I nodded my head, and tried not to cry. He must have noticed because he looked sad for a second, but then shook it off and ran off. What's going on?

Will's POV

We had just come to a stop, and I had taken the keys out of the ignition when there was a load road. My eyes widened as I made eye contact with Nico, then Annabeth, then Percy, then Thalia. Nico gestured to Avery, and I nodded, signaling him to take her to camp. He ran off.

"I swear to the gods I'm going to kill Leo!" Thalia said

"He said it would work!" I said

"For up to five demigods," Annabeth reasoned, "When we added Avery it caused an imbalance. He hasn't figured out a larger one, yet."

Nico came running back and said, "F*** Leo."

I was about to lecture Nico about that, but then there was another loud roar. I was confused, there were monsters but I couldn't see them. Finally, I saw one, but it didn't come our way. It went somewhere else.

"Come on guys," Annabeth encouraged, "Let's go check this out."

Suddenly, there was an ear splitting scream.

Avery's POV

Where did Nico go? Why was he so cranky? Maybe he didn't eat like we did. I remember seeing him with food, but I never saw him eat it. Renlee always told me people are cranky because they're sad inside. Maybe he's sad. It's been like ten minutes and I can't sit still any longer. I decide I need to go look for them.

"Ow," I said outloud as I stumbled over a rock. My shin started to bleed, but I needed to find my friends. I got up and kept looking. Without noticing, I walked past the tree Nico was oddly specific to not pass. Oops? I didn't know at the time sooooo. I run into something and fall onto my butt. I look up to see a beast, one probably about 30 feet tall and slimy. It had fanged teeth and green ooze coming out of its mouth. Its skin was a mucky green color. Right next to it there was another of exact identification. I did the only sensible thing I could. I screamed at the top of my lungs.

I scooted back until I ran into a tree. The monster roared and came closer; I screamed again. It slashed at me, and I dodged it barely. The other one slashed and grazed over my stomach. I yelped in pain. I started to see stars. I grabbed a stick and threw it at the monster. It got angrier and started to charge. I screamed as loud as I could, and when I did, a cloud from the sky sucked up the monster, and the other turned to dust. I look over to see my friends with their swords slashed where the dust is. Weird, I know. They run over to me.

"Are you okay? Did you get hurt?" Will asked. He was doing a check when he pressed on my stomach.

"Ow!" I yelled. He gently pulled up my shirt to see the claw marks across my stomach.

"Annabeth?" He said

"Yes?" She replied

"Get the nectar and ambrosia from my bag. Also grab some gauze."

"On it." 

Will grabbed some wipe from his pocket, opened it, and started to wipe my stomach. I grabbed his hand and tried to pull it off. It really stung. He was way stronger than me so he ended up being able to wipe it all. He gave me this weird drink and food. The drink tasted like the starbursts I had earlier. He wrapped up my stomach and pulled my shirt back down.

"I told you to not to move," Nico scolded harshly, "and what did you do?"

I looked down at my shoes, tears falling out of my eyes.

"I asked you to stay there for a reason! But you didn't listen and now you're hurt!"

"Why don't we save this for later, Nico," Percy said, "we need to get into camp." 

Nico sighed and said, "Fine." 

Percy walked over and held out his hand. He helped me up and held my hand as we walked past by the tree I wasn't supposed to pass. Oops, again. 

"Ah, home sweet home." Will said.

"Yeah, Yeah, cut with the sweet and sappy." Thalia rolled her eyes. 

I heard something that sounded like galloping. I look over and see a centaur coming over! Can this place get any weirder?

Thalia's POV

After we got into camp with a few slight delays, Chiron came over to see what was going on. 

"Hey," Chiron greeted, then he looked down at Avery, "who is this?"

"This is Avery," Seaweed brain said, "she's a demigod we found while we were out."

Chiron nodded, "Well, it's almost dinner so you guys can go sit at a table together and eat. We have campfire tonight(I've always assumed that after the war anyone could sit with anyone at camp, idk why)."

"Sounds good," I said, "Alright here comes the hard part."

We all exchanged looks, Seaweed brain got down on his knees to get at eye level with Avery. 

"Listen," He said, "you're going to think I'm crazy, but you're a demigod."

"A demigod?" She inquired

"Yeah, one of your parents is a god. Did you ever know your mom or dad?"

"Mhm."

"Well, don't leave us on edge, which one?"

"I have a picture of me and my mom, I think. Never met her, though."

Annabeth was visually upset. I knew she wished Avery was her little sister. She's so cute. Even I would take her. 

"Can we see it?" I asked

"Yeah, it's in my pocket." She grabbed it and was about to show us until someone called her name.

"Avery? Is that you?" I look up to see Clarisse with tears in her eyes. I've never seen her come even close to crying, now she looked on the verge of tears. 

Avery looked up, shocked, "Clarisse?"

How did Avery know Clarisse?