Chapter 8

Nico's POV

Percy led us all out to our side of the Forrest, the west side. Avery followed behind the group, her little legs struggling to keep up.

"Alright team," Percy said, "Usual teams on offense and defense. We have five minutes so hydrate and get into starting positions!"

I felt a tug on my jacket, "Where do I go?" I look down to see Avery.

"Defense," I told her, "and don't even think of pulling a little trick, do you understand?" 

She nodded but didn't really seem to have payed attention,

"Avery!" I yelled. 

She jumped and then whimpered. She tilted her head upwards to be looking at me, "Yes?" She asked so softly and innocently.

"What did I just tell you?"

"Um," she started, then stopped.

"Were you listening to me?"

"Yeah, but—"

"Then you know where you stand. Stay safe, the game is about to start." Then I walked off without looking back. I swear if that child doesn't listen again, she'll be sorry. (Okay looking back this seemed kind of harsh but I just didn't want her to get hurt again.)

"Did you tell Avery about the game?" I turn my head to see Percy standing next to me.

"Yes," I said

"Let's hope she listens; she's a strong-willed child."

"Very," I then made a connection, "kind of reminds me of younger Thalia."

He looked confused for a moment, then settled on the answer, "Yeah, she does."

The gun suddenly sounded, signaling the beginning of the game.

"Let's win this!" 

Avery's POV

Ugh! Defense was so boring. The only person I knew there was Piper and Clarisse. Piper I barely knew and I hadn't seen Clarisse in forever. Besides, she was too focused on defending to be bothered by a little nine year old. I wonder.....

"No!" I say outloud, scolding myself. Nico told me I was on defense and something told me if I left he was gonna kill me. To be honest I didn't hear what he said after, but he yelled at me so I pretended I knew what he said. I look over to see everyone preoccupied on something else, so I sneak through the trees. Maybe if I win it for them, Nico won't be mad. I trek through the woods and climb a tree. From the top I can see a bright red flag. I know where to head to, now. A bunch of strangers were protecting the flag. I hop down as quietly as I can and run for it.

"Over here!" A red team member yelled.

I grabbed the flag and started to run back. I saw a trap layer out in the leaves on the ground, so I avoid it.

"Shoot!" I heard a camper yell, "she was supposed to fall for that!"

I heard an arrow whistle by my ear, but I keep running. A camper threw a spear straight towards my chest. I scream. Was I dead? I open my eyes to see it floating about a foot away from me. I was confused, but I ignored it and kept running. I could see our territory line. I was starting to be inclosed by the red team.

"Run! Faster!" Clarisse yelled at me, she started to hold back the red campers. I ran so fast, my lungs about to give out at any moment. An Apollo kid tripped me, but it was too late for him. I stumbled over the finish line and won it for the team.