Chapter 3

Thalia's POV

This little girl. I for some reasons feel so compelled to take care of her. I don't know why, but she's so innocent and been put through so much. As we walk up to her house, I ask her some questions like her favorite color, or class in school and she would always reply in a few words as possible. It's clear that she had been taught that her opinions don't matter, because she's always worried when she puts hers out there. We reach her house and I reach my hand out and she grabs it. Nothing could have prepared me for what happened when we got inside.

"B**** WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG?" He asked, "I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!" Scared, she slid behind me, still holding my hand. The house's walls were covered in blood. There were dents in the walls here and there. The ground was covered in broken glass from bottles, and Avery wasn't allowed to bring her shoes inside. A man, about 6 feet tall with a protruding beer belly holding a glass of alcohol walks into the room, holding a knife. I could hear her start crying behind me. I wasn't going to let him touch this little girl. 

"You won't touch her," I said

"WHO ARE YOU? AND YOU?" He yelled pointing to everyone around the room, "YOU CAN'T STOP ME FROM DOING ANYTHING IN MY OWN HOME!"

"We can," started Percy, "and we will if you don't let us get her stuff and leave."

"WHO ARE YOU TO DO THIS?"

"Remember what your wife told you about her," Will said referring to Avery, "how she's different and one day she'll leave."

He nodded

"Well That day is today, whether you want it to be or not."

"Fine," the man said, "you have ten minutes."

I crouch down to Avery and asked her where her stuff is. She said in the living room. I ask her if I can pick her up because of the glass, and she finally gives in. I pick her up and we walk to the living room. There was an old tv, that was extremely cracked, and the carpet was stained all around it, red. There were bottles upon bottles on the side tables. She wiggles until I let her down. She walks over and grabs a raggedy bear with a torn shirt on it, and one other outfit. 

"All done," she looked up at me and said. I pick her back up and look at the others. Nico had a tear falling down his face, but quickly wiped it away and put back on his normal face. 

"Percy can you go get the car?" Annabeth asked

"Yeah," He said and walked out the door. We all walked out and I grabbed Avery's shoes and helped her get them on. The girl from earlier walks by and Avery runs an tackles her into a hug. They exchange a few words and the other girl starts to cry. They hug again and say goodbye. Avery walked back up to me and grabbed my arm and put it around her. I smiled a little. 

"All aboard!" Percy yelled from the car. I look down at Avery and she's smiling. That's the first time I've seen her smile. Nico, Avery, and Annabeth got in the back row, while Will and I sat in the front with Percy(for those of you who don't know there are cars that have three seats in the front and there in the back). We start driving and I look back to see Avery asleep on Nico and Annabeth. Neither of them objected but gently stroked her hair. Maybe everything was going to be okay.