Chapter 5

A/N 

Shout out to this song, I listened to it on repeat while I wrote this chapter.

Percy's POV

It has been 10 minutes since the girls were supposed to meet us back at the car. Where are they?

"I wonder what's taking them so long." Nico said

"Yeah, I'm starting to get worried." Will replied

"Me too." I added, unnecessarily. Anyone could tell by the look on my face that I wasn't okay. Will starts to tap the steering wheel with a pencil and Nico bounces his leg up and down. 

"That's it," I declare, "I'm going to look for them."

"Me too," said Nico

"And me," said Will

"No," I reasoned, "if we all go, what will they think when they get back?"

"More people cover more area." Nico countered

"What if they're hurt," Will added, "I could help them then and there."

"Fine, we'll all go." I gave in. Right as we were about to go looking for them, I saw Annabeth carrying a crying Avery and Thalia looking angry while carrying a back of snacks. The concern on Nico and Will's faces just grew. Finally, they reached the car and got in. 

"What took you so long?" Will asked immediately after they entered the car. "When I said ten minutes, I meant ten minutes, not twenty."

"Yeah, well we didn't expect to run into trouble but that still happened." Thalia said

"What went wrong?" I asked. I looked in the back to see Avery with her hand hovering slightly over her mouth, fingers spread apart. She was leaned against Annabeth as Annabeth stroked her hair, gently. You could tell Avery had just been crying. I made eye contact with Avery, but as soon as I did, she whimpered and put her head into Annabeth's arm.

"Well," Annabeth sighed, "First we went the girls bathroom, but it was taking too long. So we decided to go to the family one."

"Okay?" I said, still not understanding what took them so long.

"After that," Thalia entered the conversation, "we went to go get snacks. Avery didn't want anything so as we gathered some snacks, she must have wondered off."

"She got lost?" I asked

"Let her finish, seaweed brain." Annabeth chided.

"Anyway," Thalia continued, "we were gathering the snacks when we heard a scream for help. We turned around and Avery had been snatched by some random guy who was trying to kidnap her."

"He tried to convince us he was her father," Annabeth took over the story, "but we obviously knew he wasn't. Finally, we got her back and she's kind of shaken up. It took us a while to get back on track after that."

"Someone tried to kidnap her?!" Will yelled

"What?" I said, slightly raising my voice.

Avery covered her ears with her hands and leaned further into Annabeth.

"What the hell!" Nico cursed, "That's not okay! Where is he, I'm going to—-"

"Stop!" Thalia outyelled everyone, "We handled it and can't you see you are scaring Avery." She scolded.

"Sorry," we all mumbled at once

"I'm still not happy about this," said Nico

"We don't expect you to be," Annabeth said, "the big kids will talk about it later."