Chapter 10

Avery's POV

I shoot up in my bed and look at the clock. 2:16 in the morning. I am sweating and hyperventilating. I had a dream about my life back with Carl, and also about my friend, Renlee. I have a feeling she's not okay. I decided I needed to go for a walk, so I put on my tennis shoes and walk out the door. I felt like I was being watched but I didn't see anyone when I looked around. I walked to the edge of the forrest and see a stray cat with bright red and white fur and run up to it.

"Hey kitty," I said, "What's your name?"

He meowed in response. 

"Do you not have one?" 

He meowed again. I needed to figure out a name. 

"Um, how about Mario?"

The cat hissed. 

"Luca? Ryker? Kent? Silas?"

Right when I said Silas he rubbed his head against my arm, "Silas it is, then." I spent the next ten minutes petting the cat until he looked behind me, hissed, and ran off. Scared, it turn on my butt and look up to see Thalia with her arms crossed and looking at me, disapprovingly.

I put on my best innocent voice and said, "hi, how are you?" 

Thalia's POV

I wake up and look at the clock. It's 2:35 in the morning. I look over to Avery's bed and see it empty. I panicked and quickly got up, throwing on my leather jacket and my shoes. I saw the cabin door was still slightly open. I push it open, quickly and run out to start looking for Avery. What if she got snatched or something. After looking for about 10 minutes, I hear something, 

"Luca? Ryker? Kent? Silas?"

I ran to the edge of the forrest and tried to walk towards the sound, but the sound was gone. After about ten minutes, I found Avery. She was sitting with a red and white cat, the one that I believe I kicked out of the shooting range(quite literally) and saved his life but he's still bitter. The cat saw me and hissed, Avery froze. I crossed my arms and put on my best "You're doomed" kind of look. She slowly turned around and looked up at me.

"Hi, how are you?" She said, as innocently as she could.

I glared at her. 

She looked down at the ground. 

"Why did you leave the cabin in the middle of the night?" I asked gently. I didn't want to scare her. And besides, technically I didn't inform her of the no leaving the cabin rule. 

"I got scared and wanted to take a walk." She said, sadly. As if ashamed of being scared.

"Why were you scared?" I asked while offering my hand to help her up of the ground. She accepted and stood up. 

She whispered, "My dreams."

We started to walk back towards the cabin, "What dreams?"

"My step-father, Carl. And my best and only friend, Renlee."

"What happened to them?"

"Well Carl happened to me, but then Renlee is really sick in my dream and is gonna die."

"It's okay," I reassured, "it's just a dream." 

"But it feels so real," she choked as tears started to fall down her face. I stop and pick her up. She leans against me and I gently shush her and we finish our walk back to our cabin. Right when I open the door, Jason runs straight into us.

"What are you doing?" I asked Jason

He turned red, "Looking for you guys. It's not normal to wake up and see both of your sisters have disappeared at 3:00 in the morning."

"We just went for a little walk."

"Is she okay?"

"Yeah," I said.

Jason let out a sigh and relief and took off his shoes and coat. He sat back down on his bed. He crawled back under his covers and fell asleep just like that. 

"Avery?" I whisper gently. I then realize she had fallen asleep. I pull off her shoes and put them next to her bed. I lie her down next to me in my bed and soon, I fall asleep, too.

Time skip brought to you by me

Avery's POV

After breakfast this morning, I get to learn how to use my sword, storm and shadow. It was a sword lesson for 9-12 year olds. It was being taught by Will. 

"Alright kids, here are your partners: George and Fred(better get my reference), Anissa and Harriet, Avery and Harley, and Jessie and Adam."

I walk over to the girl he pointed to when he said Harley. She was about two inches taller than me. She had long straight black hair and olive skin. Her eyes were a deep brown. She was beautiful. 

"Hey," She said, "I'm Harley, 10, and daughter of Hephaestus." She held out her hand for me to shake it.

I grabbed her hand and shook it, "I'm Avery, 9 and daughter of Zeus."

"Alright class," Will said, "We're going to practice disarming today. See this move?" He demonstrated doing an upcut and side slash to knock the sword out of someone's hand, "try that one first. Then you can experiment what works best for the next 45 minutes."

"I'll try to disarm you first," Harley said

I nodded and we began fighting. She tried the move Will showed and it worked. My sword fell out of my hand. Then, I tried to disarm her, which I did.

"Let's experiment now!" I called

She nodded and we fought. I disarmed her and had my sword to her throat in about 5 minutes. We tried again and I won, again. We decided that I would use my non-dominate hand, which was my right. I used my right hand and still disarmed her, but after 15 minutes, instead. Will walked over and said, 

"Looks like we have a good little sword fighter over here," and ruffled my hair. 

"Alright class," he called, "You're all dismissed."

Harley and I hugged. We started to laugh about the training. I think I finally found myself a friend. Things were going great, then Jessie walked over.