Chapter 1 - Halloween

October 31st

ten months later

"O-o-o-la-la babe, you look smokin'!" Miranda, one of best friends, sings as I step out of my huge walk-in closet.

She's sitting on my King sized bed in her angel costume, a headband with a golden halo resting on her red hair.

"Thank you," I grin as I twirl around in front of my full-body mirror.

I'm wearing a blue skintight long-sleeve romper that just about covers my butt, zipped up in front but showing a lot of cleavage. I've pushed my girls up with the help of a push up bra and pulled on over-the-knee black leather boots with heels.

The sexy cop outfit is completed with a fake patch on the chest, a cap, and a black belt around my hips with handcuffs. My long dark brown hair is cascading around my shoulders in thick waves, and my make-up is on point, my green eyes popping.

I look good, even if I say so myself.

"I bet Nick is going to pass out when he sees you," Miranda teases me.

I wiggle my eyebrows at the idea. "I hope so."

Nick and I have been dating since June, ever since he asked me on a date. I like him, he's nice and good-looking, and we have fun together. We were friends before and he was there for me after the crash, and he waited for months to confess his feelings for me, waiting for me to be ready, which I appreciate. I was deep in a dark pit at the time, having a one-night-stand after another, trying to feel good and forget everything for just a few hours. It worked for a while. But then the empty feeling would return and I'd kick the guy out, still feeling like shit.

I don't know if I really was ready to date again when Nick asked me out, but I wanted to move on in my life and figured dating an awesome and caring guy might help. In a way it did. Since I've been with him, I've been getting out of the house more, so there's that.

"What time is it?" I ask, giving myself one last check in the mirror.

"Five till ten," she checks her phone and gets up since we're supposed to ride to the party with Nate, Sophie, and Landon and meet our friends there.

"Nate's gonna disapprove," she giggles behind me as we descend the stairs.

"Like I care," I sing back to her, spotting the others already waiting by the stairs.

Sophie and Nate are dressed as Alice in wonderland and the Mad Hatter, respectively, matching their costumes every year. They are sickeningly cute that way.

But my jaw almost drops at the sight of Landon in his hotter than hot S.W.A.T. costume that leaves his tanned arms bare. With his dark hair, muscular built, and a five o'clock shadow, he really fits the character of a badass cop.

I mean, I'm not blind, I've always thought he's good-looking, but I've never considered him sexy. Until now.

"What is that?" Nate draws my eyes back to him. He's looking at me very disapprovingly, raising a brow.

I smile innocently. "My costume, duh."

Nate is about to say something else but Sophie places her hand on his chest to stop him, and smiles at me. "Sexy," she winks.

At least someone appreciates it. Well, someone else might as well. From the corner of my eye, I notice Landon's eyes roaming my body from top to bottom, as if at a loss for words. Well, there's a first time for everything!