Chapter 12 - Please

I hastily step out of Nick's embrace, suddenly feeling really self-conscious. I actually have to remind myself that I'm not doing anything wrong.

"Excuse me," I tell Nick and walk over to Landon. Nate and Sophie are not far off, lost in a romantic kiss, and their other good friend, Mike, is making out with a cute blonde. Landon's eyes roam my body from head to toes, not bothering to guard his expression.

"Couldn't get yourself a girl to kiss?" I ask as I lean against the wall on his right.

"Couldn't or wouldn't?" he takes a drink of his beer. I keep my eyes trained on the clock on the opposite wall, not daring to look at him. "So, you and Wright back together?"

"No," I answer and hold out my hand for the bottle. He hands it over and I take a long gulp before giving it back to him. "Just a stupid New Year's kiss."

He nods, "Good."

Startled, I look at him then. He offers me a strained smile. "He's a pussy. Too tame for you."

My heart picks up its speed as I snap my head back up front. Please don't go there again, I silently beg him.

"I—" he starts but is interrupted by Mike thundering over to us. He's tall and muscly with blond hair and hazel eyes that are always smiling. He envelops me into a giant embrace before I have a change to react.

"Avery-bear," he ruffles my hair and I swat his hand away, amused. "Haven't seen you in a while."

"Yeah, well, if you'd come around the house sometime, you would," I shake my head a him, smiling. I've always liked Mike. He's one of Nate's oldest friends; they met at a sandbox when they were three and have been tight ever since.

"Been busy with work and school," he sighs. He works at the Auto body shop with Landon.

"Excuses excuses," I grin. "Where did you lose the blonde, anyway?"

"Nah, got bored," he smirks and high-fives Landon. Boys.

"Looking tight there, girl," he winks at me playfully, taking in my attire. I see Landon's eyes narrow a bit and I give him a quick 'cut it out' look. There's never been anything sketchy going on between Mike and I, he's like my older brother. And I know he considers me his adopted little sister, as well.

"Careful there, buddy" Nate and Sophie join us, the former slapping Mike's back. "That's my sister you're talking about."

Landon and I share a quick glance.

"I know, I know" Mike raises his hands in defense. "Just complimenting the girl. Someone's got to."

I grin. "Thank you. This doesn't happen by itself," I wave a hand at myself. "But as fun as this has been, I'm missed elsewhere," I bow out and make my way back to my friends.

As the night goes on, I feel more and more like shit. I managed to block the accident out for the first half of the evening, but as the clock ticks closer and closer to the time of my parents deaths exactly one year ago, I feel myself starting to spin out of control. I hold a vodka bottle I've been trying to drown my feelings into, failing miserably. I need something else. Something else to distract me. I look out the window to the dark garden lighted only by a few light here and there, and recognize a familiar figure walking until he's out of my line of sight. There. That's what I need.