Chapter 2 - Hangovers

I wake up in Nick's arms, our legs tangled together. I blink as my eyes adjust to the light and I check the time on my alarm clock. 10.37. I'm usually up at six to go running, but as I'm nursing a slight hangover, I might just skip today.

I slowly untangle myself from Nick as not to wake him, and tip toe to my closet. I pull on my light pink silk pajama shorts and a matching top and make my way downstairs.

As I enter the kitchen I stop in my tracks, an unfamiliar brunette sitting at our kitchen island drinking coffee. She's tall and skinny, like a model.

"Uh, hey," I wave, getting her attention. She turns to me and smiles. Wow, such a pretty smile. She's gorgeous. I pull my fingers through my hair, feeling self-conscious of the tangles in it. 

"Hi," she smiles. "I'm with Landon," she explains. "He just went to change his clothes. I'm Dana, by the way."

"Oh, alright," I start rummaging through a cabinet for Advil. "Avery," I say over my shoulder.

"Oh, yeah," recognition flashes in her eyes. "You're the best friend's little sister."

"That's me," I force a smile and down the pill with water. "Well, I'm just gonna..." I indicate toward the door and make my exit. That wasn't awkward at all. I've just reached the upstairs landing when Landon comes out of his room, wearing jeans and a gray long-sleeve that hugs his muscled chest.

"Your one-night stand's delightful," I point my finger over my shoulder. This isn't the first time he's brought home girls but I haven't really small-talked with most of them in the mornings. They usually just leave after the deed or at least early enough for them to be gone by the time I wake up. Not that I haven't brought home guys myself in the past; I have, a few. But I've always had the courtesy of kicking them out before the others have seen them.

He cocks his brow. "And how do you know she's just a one time fuck?"

I roll my eyes. "Because that's all you do." He has never had a serious girlfriend. He's dated, yeah, but nothing that's lasted more than a few weeks. I think he gets bored easily.

"That's not all I do," he counters, stepping past me to the stairs. "I might just fuck this one twice. Oh, wait, never mind, already did," he smirks and winks at the expression on my face, before disappearing from my sight. O-o-kay then.

I push my bedroom door open and find Nick still sleeping, so I go to the bathroom and brush my teeth, my breath smelling like booze. I think about going back down to get some coffee but decide against the idea as I don't want to run into Landon and his model friend doing who knows what. So instead, I climb back into bed and snuggle against Nick's side.

His arm goes around my shoulders and I look up to find him smiling at me sleepily.

"Morning, sleepyhead," I kiss him on the cheek.

"Good morning, beautiful," he kisses my forehead, and his arm tightens around me, pulling me closer.

"Did you sleep well?" I get up on one elbow to see his face. He's kind of cute all sleepy, his light hair an adorable mess.

"Never better," he smiles and looks at me his eyes full of adoration. My cheeks redden as he holds my stare. "I love you."

I freeze. Oh no. I gulp, terror building up in my stomach. What do I say? What do I say? "Umm..." I'm at a loss for words. Say something, you dummy! "Okay."