Chapter 9 - The Charity Ball

(the above dress but in navy blue)

"You look gorgeous!" Stella squeals and claps her hands. She stands behind me, having just given the finishing touches to my hair. She has curled it and pulled a part of it up in a beautiful twist at the back of my head. I'm wearing silver diamond earrings and a matching bracelet, but not a necklace as the neckline of my dress is showy enough.

I stand up and twirl around in front of my mirror, my heels the same blue as the dress. I do look good, if I say so myself.

"Thank you," I hug my friend.

"No problem," she smiles and gathers up her stuff. I would've gotten her an invitation to the ball but she is leaving to California in a few hours to spend the holidays with her family, Riley already having left to Ohio yesterday. At least Miranda would be there as Brett's plus one.

"Avery! Are you ready?" Nate yells from downstairs.

"Coming!" I shout back, grabbing my clutch bag and stuffing my phone, keys and wallet in it.

"Come on," Stella takes my free hand. "This beautiful masterpiece deserves a princess' entrance."

I shake my head amused, but follow her to the stairs. She scurries down the stairs before me and stops at the bottom, where Nate, Landon, and Sophie are standing. I can't see but their feet from up here. Stella throws out her hands and bows deeply.

"Her majesty, the beautiful, the enchanting, the ravishing princess Avery," she announces loudly and I giggle, descending the stairs slowly, afraid of tripping and landing in a messy heap at the bottom. Wouldn't be the first time.

My eyes go straight to Landon, unbelievably handsome in a fitted black tux. He's staring at me with his lips slightly parted, his gray eyes full of emotion. I feel a faint blush creeping up my cheeks at the expression on his face. From the corner of my eye, I notice Stella grinning, her eyes dating between me and Landon. Catching myself, I tear my gaze away from him and take in my brother, handsome as always, and Sophie at his side. She's wearing a pale pink strapless gown that flares out at the waist, complimenting her powdery skin. Her blonde hair is up in a delicate bun and a gold necklace rests against her collarbones. She smiles at me and I can't help but smile back.

"You look amazing," I compliment her, meaning it. She looks like an angel.

"Thanks," she hugs me, "but you're the queen of tonight. Absolutely gorgeous."

"Can't help but agree" Nate kisses my cheek. "You look like mom," he whispers in my ear, low enough that only I can hear. My heart warms but he moves away before I can say anything.

We start heading to the front door but Stella holds me back so that we're a few steps behind the others.

"You've got yourself an admirer," she smirks at me.

"What?" I look at her frowning, even though I have a pretty good guess what she's talking about. She rolls her eyes at me, as if reading my mind.

"He couldn't get his eyes off you," she winks, nodding at Landon's back. And what a well-sculpted back it is.

"Puh-lease," I say, thinking of all the one-night stands he's been having recently. "He looks at every girl like that."

She scoffs. "Yeah right. He looked at you like you're the most beautiful thing he's ever laid his eyes on."

What? He didn't. Did he? For some reason the thought sends pleasure coursing through my body. Stella just shakes her head and laughs. "I'm leaving now, but have fun!" She leads me outside and winks at me before disappearing into her car and driving off.