Chapter 21 - We Don't Choose Our Family

I stare at Landon's father, taking in his appearance. He's drunk, that's obvious from the stank of his breath and the way he wobbles on the porch. He's also missed a few showers. My eyes flicker to the brown bag in the inside pocket of his open jacket.

"Sure am," I smile sweetly, not one to resort to good manners when I've just been called a whore. I don't care if he's Landon's father, he won't be pushing me around. "And are you the drunken piece of trash that won't leave his son alone?"

He narrows his eyes at me, the cool gray far from the warm silver of Landon's. "I wouldn't talk to me in that tone, missy."

"It's Miss Alderidge to you," I say, crossing my arms. "Now, what are you doing here?"

"That's none of your business," he snarls, taking support from the railing as his legs waver.

"It is when you're standing on my doorstep," I tell him, my face hard. I can't believe Landon has had to deal with this man for years.

"Step aside, little girl."

"No," I steady my stance.

He takes a step forward, blasting me with alcohol breath. He's way taller than me, also wider, but I hold my ground. "I'm here to take my son home and some little bitch ain't stopping me."

"We'll see about that," I narrow my eyes at him, trying not to gag. "I'm not scared of you."

"Pretty but stupid, I see," he snarks. "My son has always had a poor taste when it comes to girls."

"We'll just have to agree to disagree," I quip, raising a brow.

"I suggest you go get my son, or you will regret it."

I pretend to think. "Nah, I'm good, thanks." Okay, maybe antagonizing an angry drunk twice my size isn't exactly smart, but I can't seem to hold my tongue.

He darts forward surprisingly fast considering his drunken state and grabs my ponytail. He yanks my head back and towers over me. "Stupid bitch," he growls into my face, hurting my scalp. "You should learn your place."

I wince, for the first time really afraid, and instinct kicks in. I knee him in the stomach, hard. He groans and doubles over. I take a quick step back, my heart hammering against my chest.

"Who is it?" Landon comes to the foyer, probably wondering why I'm taking so long. His face goes slack when he sees his father. He takes in the scene, his eyes darting from my now loose ponytail to his father grunting in pain. The muscles in his face twitch and his jaw goes hard. He steps in front of me, staring at his father with pure anger in his eyes.

"What the hell are you doing here?"

"Nice to see you, too, son," his father wheezes. "Met your slut," he laughs nastily. "Feisty."

"Get the hell out" Landon spits, taking a hold of his father's arm and dragging him down the porch steps.

"Is this how you treat your father?"

"It is when you show up out of the blue and threaten my girlfriend."

My heart does a flip. Girlfriend?