four

four

    SILENCE was the only thing being heard, as both of them had run out of small topics to talk about

    SILENCE was the only thing being heard, as both of them had run out of small topics to talk about. Rosine had learned William was twenty-four years old— three years older than herself. William learned Rosine was studying to be a nurse, but longed to be a writer. They both chatted about small things, from their favourite pastries to the war.

Rosine sat on the small makeshift bed, stretching her aching feet. "Can you truly not remember why you were on your own, or what task you needed to complete?"

Rosine motioned for him to pass her the bandages next to him. He effortlessly tossed her the roll of bandages. Rosine had a lot of supplies from her looting strategy, which was another reason William admired her— she was intelligent. Rosine watched as Will's muscles flexed as he moved. Her heart began to beat quicker once again.

"I don't know exactly what I needed to do, but I feel as if it was important. Truth be told, I probably shouldn't be here," Will said, muttering the last bit more to himself.

"You're free leave at any time William Schofield. You are not held here against your will," she challenged, her thick accent adding depth to her words, as she kicked her shoes off, revealing the cut up bottoms of her feet. She removed the old bandages and dipped her feet in the remaining tub of water.

"Bloody hell Rosine! What happen?"

Rosine peered up at him through her thick lashes. "It seems as if the shoe industry around here has gone out of business," Rosine answered sarcastically.

Will got up and walked towards her, picking up the bloody clothe as he went. He knelt in front of the girl, taking her leg in his hands. She helped him by hiking up her dress just high enough to allow him access to her calf and below. Will's hands trailed down her knee, dancing across her calf and finally arriving at her feet. His hands were rough as they lightly gripped her foot, but Rosine longed for the contact. He dabbed the small cuts, cleaning away the dried blood.

Rosine could only watch as he touched her ever so gently. Once he was finished the first foot, he moved into the next one. He dabbed it just like the first one. He took the bandages from Rosine's hands, not daring to look her in the eyes as he did his best to help her. He was no trained professional, but on the battle field he's picked up how to dress a wound. He wrapped both feet nervously, and although it wasn't as secure as Rosine's wraps, it would still hold.

Will rested his hands on both sides of Rosine, still kneeling in front of her. He ignored the slight ache of his knees since he had endured worse.

"I can't leave you, Rosine. I don't know why— I mean, I know why .. I feel some sort of way for you— towards you. I.. I don't want to leave you because I don't know if I'll see you again," Will admitted in a whisper. He finally looked up into her eyes, and the look she gave him made him want to melt.

Rosine's mind raced as she lifted her hand to touch the side of his face. She didn't say anything as she brought her face towards his. They were closer than ever now, if any of them moved an inch they would be kissing. 

"I don't want you to leave."

"Can I kiss you?"

Rosine looked into his eyes, living for the emotion in them. She nodded slightly and tilted her head towards him. William didn't waste any more time. He pushed forward, pressing his chapped lips to her own. Rosine was careful not to upset his head wound as she gripped the back of his neck, pulling him closer.

He deepened the kiss by adding tongue, and Rosine didn't decline. Their tongues played a game of tag, taking turns with dominance until Rosine broke for air. Her cheeks flared as she realized that kissing was about the extent of her experience.

Regretfully, she pulled away. Will looked into her wide eyes with confusion written all over his face. Did she not want to continue? Was she uncomfortable.

"You must rest," she said, choosing not to address the real reason she chose to break apart. Truthfully, she knew she shouldn't indulge in such activities. Especially with a soldier, who she'll most likely never meet again. Her heart will only break in the end.

He smiled understandingly as he pulled the girl towards him. He laid back on her small makeshift bed, both of them enjoying the contact and comfort the other provided.

"Resting while such a beautiful girl is in my arms is nearly impossible, love."

Rosine trailed her fingers across his chest, feeling every muscle and watching as his chest raised in a steady motion up and down. She allowed her hand to drift lower, stopping at his belt. She didn't dare go any farther.

"You'll forget me in the weeks to come. A beautiful girl comes and goes."

Will chuckled more to himself than anything, "I won't ever forget you Rosine. That's truly unimaginable."

Rosine felt her heart skip a beat. For a second, it felt as if they weren't underneath a war zone— they were normal young adults, enjoying each other's company. And quickly falling in love.

enjoy :)