six

six

     AS THEY LAID THERE, tangled into each other's arms, they talked

AS THEY LAID THERE, tangled into each other's arms, they talked. Deep inside, Rosine felt guilty for what she had just done, but she knew she wouldn't have wanted it any other way. She was just glad to have the opportunity to be so vulnerable with William.

"Have you done that before Will?"

"Done what?" He mumbled quietly as his fingers trailed up and down her bare arms, leaving goosebumps as a parting present.

"What we just did?"

Will gulped nervously, "yes, I have— a couple times. Why? Did I do something wrong?"

Rosine smiled to herself as she gazed at his bare chest, watching his chest rise and fall. "No, you did everything perfectly."

They held each other in silence. Rosine hadn't felt so comfortable and safe in a long time. She felt as if it the old days, when everyone in her family was together and happy. On a normal day, her mother would be out all day shopping for the house, while her father went off to work. Rosine's sister, brother and herself would go off to school on the other side of town. They'd walk together, joking and carrying on as they went.

When they came home, they would wash up and help their mother with dinner and then, within the hour, their father would come home with stories from work. They'd sit together as a family and eat. Sometimes, when she had a bad day or an upsetting dream, Rosine would sneak into her sisters room and they'd giggle and cuddle all night long— or at least until their mother came in to hush them.

The warmth she felt with Will in that exact moment, reminded her of the warmth her sister gave her. The warmth her whole entire family worked hard to give her. If only it lasted.

"I haven't."

"Haven't what?" She mumbled, mimicking what he had done to her earlier. She peered up to see his face reddening.

"I haven't done it before. But, I had an idea what to do."

"Oh really?"

"Yes really."

"Who would've known," she teased. She perched herself up on his chest, basking in the giddy feeling she felt as their bare chest pressed against each other. "You could've been honest with me a couple minutes ago, my love."

He chuckled to himself as he placed another kiss to her lips, "you're too smart."

They held each others gaze, both of them enjoying this moment shared between the two of them. William pulled her closer and nuzzled his head into the crook her neck, leaving tiny wet kisses. Everything was silent as she sighed happily.

They were both happy in their fake world until the harsh reality of war woke them up once again. The horrible sounds and vibrations of bombs started once again, as cries of pain and screaming could be heard from their hiding spot. The air in the room shifted from a romance scene to a dreary tragedy.