ten

ten

WILL RAN as hard as he could

WILL RAN as hard as he could. He pushed against every soldier in his way and fought to get into the trenches.

"Let me by please! Move! Please—!" Will pleaded to the soldiers as he passed by. Some moved for him and others he had to move himself.

He grabbed the first soldier he could get his hands on, startling the man half to death. "Where's your commanding officer?"

"He's in the holding pen."

William took off sprinting once again, but this time in the direction of the holding pen, shoving past every person in his way. Seeing the men prepare for battle had him feeling a new sense of hope, almost like he wasn't too late. More like he was just in time.

The holding area was packed with men, all with nervous and serious expressions as they listened to a single man. He was shouting, trying to hype his men up. Will spotted him within seconds and began to push his way through the crowd.

"On the first mark, A Company will advance! B Company will then move to the front line—!"

"Sir, I have a message from General Erinmore!"

The man looked down on Will and scoffed, "Who the fuck are you?"

Will ignored the look and question, and continued with his explanation. "The attack has been called off! General Erinmore has called off this attack!"

The Lieutenant looked at Will as if he had ten heads, but then glanced around at his nervous men. The man clenched his jaw, watching all his hard work go to waste. "Get out of the way Corporal. We're about to go over. We've got them on the run."

"No—! Please! Don't!" Will begged frantically, but the Lieutenant waved him off in a dismissive manner.

"I have direct orders from the Army command! Where is Colonel Mackenzie?!" Will yelped. He pulled out his letter and waved it in front of the Lieutenant.

The Lieutenant grabbed him and pushed him away as a last warning. "Jesus Christ! Go and see the Captain."

Will staggered out of the holding area, desperately pushing to get past people once again. In the distance, Will could hear whistles and yelling. He ran towards it, recognizing the sounds of battle.

He stumbled into the trench, which was packed with men. Mentally, Will cursed. Will found the Captain tucked into a ball, rocking himself back and forth. The man was terrified and crying. Will tried to get through to the man but he was in another place.

Before Will could try again to get the attention of the Captain, the air vibrated. German artillery showered the men, and all of them pressed into the walls of the trench, trying to find as much cover as they could. The loud noises were enough to rupture eardrums and shatter windows.