nineteen

nineteen

SIX DAYS BEFORE THE WEDDING

ROSINE WASNT AT THE PARK Will last saw her at. He checked. Thrice. He wasn't sure if she was purposely avoiding this park, or if she didn't frequent that area. He wished he had asked more questions about her. The only thing he managed to get out of her was that she was leaving soon to return to her job as a nurse back in Canada. Perhaps the hotel she was staying at or what she did in her spare time while staying here, would have been a good question to ask.

Will sat on the bench where he last saw her in public, in his hands a bouquet of flowers. Ironically, he was only able to sit at the bench in peace because Elizabeth was off with her cousin picking flowers for the bridesmaids to hold.

He wanted nothing more than to see Rosine, to give her the explanation she deserved. He'd drop Elizabeth in a second for her. But now, not knowing if Rosine would ever look his way again if he found her, leaving Elizabeth seemed to be more scary and daunting than before. When he originally decided to leave Elizabeth, he knew he'd be on his own. But then he found Rosine, and thought perhaps he could marry the right girl.

He fucked that up the second he started his second relationship without ending the first one. He scoffed aloud. He thought Rosine was dead. If she had shown up three years ago, he would have never even glanced Elizabeth's way. Maybe this was karma, for every life he took during the war.

He sat at the park until the sun was lightly kissing the tips of the trees, a beautiful sunset clearly visible. He leaned back, the flowers dropping out of his limp hand.

The clasping of a strong hand around his shoulder startled him, causing him to let out a yelp of surprise. He turned, preparing to fight off an attacker, but relaxed as he recognized the familiar face of Jack.

Jack's bright smile almost made him feel better about the situation he found himself in. Almost.

"Flowers aren't much use on the ground," Jack commented, pointing towards the flowers next to Will's foot.

"Idiot, they come from the ground."

"Ahh, yes," Jack hummed, glancing over to the wildflowers in the park. "It would appear so."

The two men sat in silence, not necessarily comfortable or uncomfortable. The silence was more of an elephant, standing in a tiny room, everyone wondering why there was an elephant in the room.

Jack sighed, "I know it might not be my place to ask, but I was at your house Saturday morning.. and a woman that wasn't Elizabeth answered the door."

Will didn't answer, instead he open stared ahead, trying to imagine the altercation between Rosine and Jack. In another life, he could see them being friends. He wished they had got to be friends.

When Will didn't reply, Jack continued. "I-I know I ain't the brightest, but she reminded me of the descriptions you've given me of your French lover. Hell, she even had an accent... I'm not judging you man, but I'm just saying, perhaps it's time to end things wit—"

"It was her," Will whispered, cutting Jack off. "You met Rosine at the door."

Jack choked on air, "I thought you said she was dead?"

Will let out a dry chuckle. "I thought so too. Until she wasn't. Then I fucked up. I've been aimlessly looking for her all day, but it's pointless. It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack," Will paused, licking his lips. "I messed up Jack, and I want nothing more than to fix it. She's the only woman I truly want. Nobody compares to her."

"Perhaps, hear me out, you should leave Elizabeth and find her wherever she is," Jack suggested. Will let a small, timid tear escape his eye.

"I can't... that would be wrong. I won't force myself upon her by following her back to her home country."

"I guess you're right. It is a bit creepy," Jack added. Jack turned to look at the heartbroken expression of his friend, feeling his heart clench at the sight. "Let me tell you something, if God wills it, you'll end up with Rosine. You'll find her, and you'll be together as one. If not, it wasn't meant to be."

Will nodded. He hoped God willed it, because he didn't know how he would continue on knowing it wasn't meant to be.

not edited. enjoy :)

i know this is short, but the next couple chapters are filler, and then the finale chapters come. it's almost over guys. idk how to feel abt this.