eighteen

eighteen

ONE WEEK, ONE DAY BEFORE DEPARTURE

THE SUN had been in the sky for a while when Rosine woke up, Will's arm draped around her bare waist, anchoring her down. She was tempted to close her eyes and drift back into sleep, but sunshine through the curtains beckoned her to rise.

She lightly pushed Will's arm off her body as she crept out of bed. Her feet tingled at the coolness of the wooden floor, further waking her up. She searched for her dress, and once found, she quietly tugged the article of clothing on. She glanced at Will. He looked peaceful. His hair covered the full view of his resting face, but Rosine knew he was still dead asleep as his soft snores filled the room. She smiled gently, as she usually did when she was with Will.

His kitchen wasn't hard to navigate. She found two mugs and the coffee grounds, and soon enough she had coffee brewing. She searched his cupboards looking for breakfast food. She settled on eggs and bacon, and began to fill the house with the sweet smell of breakfast.

As she flipped the bacon, she thought of how her life would be now. Her family would be going back to Canada in a week. Could she afford to stay here with Will? Would he consider coming back with her? Does them spending another night together mean he wants something real? Or was this just a one time trip into the past. Should she have left by now? Was she overstaying her welcome? So many thoughts and insecurities raced through her mind as she started on the eggs. She listened to the cackling and sizzling, as that was the only sound that flowed through Will's house besides the shower. Rosine smiled, she must've missed Will when he peaked his head through the door.

As she plated the food, knowing Will would come out the shower within a couple minutes, she glanced at the clock. It was barely twelve, perhaps she could join him. The coffee dinged, letting her know it was ready to be served. She decided against a shower with him, as that would tire her more than she already was from the night prior. As she went to pour her coffee, there was knocking at the door.

She glanced to the bedroom, where Will was in the on-suite taking an apparently loud shower. The knocking continued. Rosine walked towards the door. She knew it would be inappropriate for her to answer the door, but as the incredibly annoying knocking persisted she was left without a choice.

She fumbled with the lock, and pulled the door back, revealing a boy twice her height and very lanky. His dark brown hair complimented his light brown eyes that were casted downwards towards his hands, which were holding two different coloured ties and a piece of paper in his hands. Rosine confusedly followed his gaze.

"Hey man. I have a list of places we can get out suits tailored at before the wedding next week," He said. His brown eyes lifted. His jaw dropped as he realized a foreign woman stood in front of him. He took in her appearance, a disheveled dress and bed head hair. His heart dropped as he placed the puzzle pieces together. "You're not Will... and you're not Elizabeth either."

Rosine glanced back to the mantle briefly, as she put a puzzle of her own together, realizing who the woman in that photo from the night before might be. She had a gut feeling it wasn't Will's cousin.

Rosine struggled to find words as her and the unknown man stood awkwardly at the door. She glanced around the doorway, trying to find a reason as to why she would be here. Her eyes landed on a pile of wedding magazines.