Chapter Three: Ravencrow

That evening I slept soundly after the eventful battle in the inn. I never wished for danger or harm to come to anyone, but I had to admit that I missed the excitement that I once had just a year ago. When no one was looking, I would train in my room with my sword and shield, fighting invisible combatants and imagining myself on the battlefield, not high above them in some tower.

The knights worked in shifts standing guard outside of my room in case there were any more threats that came our way and in the morning we had a nice and big breakfast before heading out. I apologized to the innkeeper and gave him twice as much gold as he would've expected and he thanked me profusely. The man wouldn't say it, but he was unsettled by the actions of the Cordath soldiers. It wasn't a good sign that they felt so empowered to travel this far south. They weren't fearful of the consequences of the southern force and that discomfited me.

It was a smooth ride in the carriage, but I became distracted when I heard the cawing of a black ravencrow outside. I peeked outside and saw the black bird with a black beak high above, making more noise than I had ever heard from a bird. I wanted to call it down and ask if it was well, but that would have drawn too much attention to myself and my abilities.

I first saw the golden winged-lion banners of the Stargon castle waving in the wind as we passed over the hillside of the region. I watched from the window and watched them and I addressed Knight Richard. "Knight Richard, watch the hills carefully. There are giant tortoises about."

Knight Richard pulled at the reigns of his brown steed to walk along with the carriage and said, "I will, High Prince. Stargon is a sight away."

"Thank you," I said, smiling at his stoic face. "How was it after I left?"

"Prince?"

"When I got lost in the Old Wood. I've heard stories from my parents, but they have the tendency to dress the truth. I wanted to hear the true account."

His jaw moved up and down several times, as if he didn't know how to start or if he even wanted to. I was his prince, however, and he hadn't a choice. 

"It was chaos, High Prince Darren. The kingdom was in disarray. Your parents spent much of their resources searching for you. There were teams sent all across Sentria, Loria, the Summerlands, and Stargon. The reward for the one who found you was great. There were imposters brought to the kingdom, as if your parents would somehow forget what you looked like, and the perpetrators were hung in the streets."

I had heard most of what he had said and none of it surprised me, though I did feel a fair amount of guilt. "And what of you? How did you spend your days?"

He raised his chin, maintaining his dignified nature and said, "I was threatened, your grace. I took full responsibility for your loss."

"It wasn't your fault, Knight Richard. You did your duty."

"And yet I didn't." He turned to me and said. "It was my job to protect you, the most noble duty in all of Askeran, and I failed. You are the future of Sentria and beyond. No beast nor sorcerer should stand in the way of that."

We made it to the golden gates of Stargon, and I began to worry. My people accepted me with open arms, but I committed a crime when last I was there. I ran away from their prince. I wouldn't expect them to be as soft-handed with me as they were in my kingdom.

The trumpets blared the "Moon Song" as we made our approach and even that sounded less welcoming than before. It had been a sign of respect when last I was there, but when I returned it had sounded like the gates of the Underworld were opening for me.

We rode through the town and I stayed hidden behind the curtain of the carriage. Normally I'd wave and greet the crowd, but I didn't want to face the judgment of the Stargonian people. I knew the true purpose of my mission there and it was to fix my damaged reputation. All eyes would be on me.

The carriage stopped at the steps of the Stargon castle and the valet opened the door to let me out. I walked up the steps and the image was almost identical as it had been last time I was there; King and Queen Marbury stood next to Prince Lucas and their three daughters, and the King's councilmen joined them. They hid their sourness well, but not well enough. It was in their eyes. They told me more than word could.

"Young Prince Darren," said King Marbury with one of those half-truth smiles. "I'm so glad you could join us on such short notice."

"It wasn't a problem at all," I said walking up the steps toward the golden castle. The councilmen kneeled as I approached. "I wanted to thank you for my invitation. It was most kind."

"Think nothing of it," said Queen Anne, wrapping her arm around her husband's. "We must be united in times like these. The enemy is close at hand and division will sow chaos."

I stood two steps from the top, looking up at them like they were gods that required my complete devotion before being accepted into haven. "Agreed...I wanted to apologize to you and your family. It was not the way to handle things, and I didn't mean to offend." I looked over at Prince Lucas, expecting to see a look of superiority and instead saw a peacefulness in his disposition.

"That is the past, young prince," said King Marbury. "Those times were dire and irrationality gets the better of even the greatest men." He then looked around me, acting as if he expected someone else to be around me. "I see that you are without your relic."

"...I am."

"That's for the best. These things have a way of working themselves out." Behind his polite words was a sense of superiority. I preferred offenses that were outright, the outward duel where I could fight back, but I hadn't the higher ground.

"Prince Darren," said Prince Lucas, still as bright and golden as ever. "You have grown." He gestured for me to come up to him. I hesitated, then walked up the last couple of steps. I felt more like a puppet than a young man.

"As have you," I said, standing face to face with him. He had grown in height and his face took on more masculine features. He still possessed that brightness that rivaled the sun, it was simply adorned in a more mature costume.

Prince Lucas grabbed my shoulders and kissed me on the lips in front of his family, councilmen, and the townspeople and everyone held their breath. It had happened so fast that my eyes remained open during the duration. I heard the claps and cheers from the adoring crowd, as if they had been finally won over. Prince Lucas released me and we turned toward them. He waved back at the public and I did the same in a more cautious manner and their excitement grew louder.

"See?" said King Marbury, almost too pleased with himself. "All is right again. Come inside and get settled. The Winter Ball is tonight."

Everyone lined on the steps walked back inside and I walked next to Prince Lucas, but when I saw that Knight Ral was waiting outside of the doors, I knew I had to speak with him.

"Forgive me, Prince Lucas, but I must speak with Knight Ral."

Prince Lucas nodded to me and walked inside with everyone else.

"High Prince Darren," said Knight Ral and kneeled. My heart was heavy and seeing his adherence to protocol made it worse.

"Please, stand," I said, and he stood erect. "Please forgive me for my actions when last we met. I had a fated quest and nothing could stand in my way, not even one such as you."

"Apologies are unnecessary, your grace."

"You are too kind, Knight Ral. An honorable man straight to your heart. It still doesn't make what I did right and it wasn't your fault that you had orders to follow. I wanted you to know that you will always have my respect as the most noble knight in all the lands. I wish...well, I wish I could be like you."

"Your grace..." Knight Ral looked at me in disbelief, as if I had said that I wanted to be a peasant. "You are the High Prince. You will become High King and there is no greater honor."

"Honor is in the deed, Knight Ral, not the title. A thousand titles couldn't equal half of your character."

"Thank you, my lord." He bowed and I saw in his face that he held no ill-will toward me. He was too good of a man.

I went inside, feeling slightly better about what had happened. Out of all those who I may have offended, I was most disappointed that I had hurt Knight Ral.