Chapter Thirteen: Come Sail Away

We walked down the steep Mayer Road, letting gravity do most of the work and looking out for the spiral tree that Master Cabel told us about. The Sun was out, but it offered little warmth from the frigid winds.

"It is freezing," said Prince Lucas, holding himself tightly. "It's getting too cold too fast. It must be a bad omen."

"Don't think about it," I said. "It's early Winter and it's bound to get even colder."

"I can help with that," said Eldwyn. "Bronte, auk em braun!" His voice echoed and the winds immediately stopped.

"What does that mean?" asked Prince Lucas, loosening up and letting his arms fall to his sides.

"It's my prayer to Bronte."

"...But what does it mean?" he asked again.

"It's how I ask Bronte for extra strength. I can manifest wind on my own, but it's always important to give praise to him."

"You're praying to Indred the goddess of the wind," he said this as if he felt sorry for Eldwyn for being so naive. "There are twenty-seven gods, not just one."

"Maybe for you," said Eldwyn, "But for me, there is one and his name is Bronte, god of all."

"Prince Darren, are you hearing this? Have you heard anything so ridiculous?" he asked me with a nudge.

"It's his belief and it works," I said with an elongated shrug. "That's all that matters."

We kept walking down the steep road until it flattened out. Sparse trees were alongside of us, but none of them. I could tell that Prince Lucas was growing restless. He had hardly left his kingdom and his idea of a long walk would have been a few strolls around his castle.

"Maybe we missed it," he said, looking behind him.

"I doubt it," I said, "a sight like that would stick out. And with six eyes searching for it, I don't think we'd mistake it."

"Up ahead!" said Eldwyn, pointing excitedly. Up ahead, there was a spiral tree that reached higher than the others and spread out its open branches as if it were calling to the Sun. I had never seen anything like it.

"I knew it," I said with a smile. "This way." I led the team towards it, and as I passed it I traced my gloved hand against the rough bark. We went on until we reached the calm moving waters of the Ansel River. I turned my head to the right and saw a modest-sized boat with a blue sail on the shore tied to a large stone. It had a single mast rigged with a jib in the front and a mainsail attached to the back of the mast.

"Has anyone ever sailed a boat before?" asked Eldwyn, looking at it as if it had come from the havens.

"I've never sailed before," I admitted, "but we can figure it out."

"Well, I haven't sailed either," said Prince Lucas, looking out to the water. "But Knight Ral told me of the times he had sailed the rivers in the Mountainlands when he was in his training...he had many stories."

"Good, then you will take the lead," I said.

"Me?!" Prince Lucas turned around as if I said he'd be battling an army by himself. "I said that Knight Ral told me his stories, not that I had ever done it before."

"That still makes you the most viable candidate," I said.

"I have faith in you," said Eldwyn, placing his hand on Lucas's shoulder.

We put our things in the boat and Eldwyn and Prince Lucas got in it.

"Okay, okay..." said Lucas under his breath as he checked the cables and the ropes that supported the mast, ensuring that everything was secure.