Chapter Twenty-Seven: Safe Harbour

The Green Lizard sailed through the night away from the wreckage of the Emperor King. I took Prince Lucas to the weathered surgeon named Knives—he didn't have the most comforting name, but he was very skilled—and I waited by his side to ensure that he would recover. Knives told me that he would be fine and that giving him the vital elixir possibly saved his life. I still didn't feel right leaving his side, but truth be told that was partly because I didn't want to face Eldwyn. I didn't know what he was thinking. He had just killed pirates aboard a ship and he wasn't remorseful about it. I didn't know who this was. Lucas's condition, as stressful as it was, was easier to deal with.

After several hours of waiting by Lucas' side, I left the infirmary and went back to my cabin. Eldwyn was asleep in the top bunk, his chest rising and falling steadily, and I wondered what he was dreaming of. It was hard getting to sleep that night, but I wrestled my mind into submission.

When I awoke, I went straight to the captain's cabin at the front of the ship. I had always given the Iron Lass her space, but I felt the need to speak with her after the chaotic events of the night before.

I knocked upon her door.

"Enter," the Iron Lass said from behind the door.

I entered her domain, it had crimson drapes and two lanterns hung on either side of the ceiling. There were two long crimson benches by the long oakwood table which had a map, a candlestick, and an antique spyglass pointed at the window. The Iron Lass stood at the opposite end of the table. She looked surprisingly relaxed. It's what made her a good captain.

"Have you slept?" I asked.

"Have you?" she asked.

"Not well." I walked up and stood by the table. "Prince Lucas is recovering. I checked on him again this morning."

"Knives told me," she said, "I'm glad for that, and I'm glad that Eldwyn saved us from the Emperor King. Otherwise, we'd be as good as dead."

I looked down at the map. "How is the ship?"

"He's seen better days." The Iron Lass walked around the table next to the map. "My crew patched up the ship as much as they could. We'll be docking here." She pointed to a small island on the map. "Harbour Island. It's a neutral zone where ships can dock, load up on food and ale, and repair. We're lucky it's only an hour away. The Emperor King is tough, but if we had taken on any more damage we'd be dead in the water."

The events of last night flashed before my eyes and I pushed them away. "Can I join you when we reach landfall? I need to stretch my legs."

The Iron Lass looked at me discerningly. "Is there no other reason why you want to join me?"

"No...that's the only reason."

"I normally go it alone," she said, "I like walking the island to clear my mind, but I'll make an exception."

We reached port in an hour and the Iron Lass gave the crew instructions; the repairs that need to be made, cleaning the deck, and an inventory list, then she and I left for the island. It was filled with colorful buildings and streets that rose and fell like frozen cobblestone waves. It was strange being in a land that wasn't under my family's rule. Even when I was in the cold realm of Cordath it had felt like I owned it in some way—or that I was meant to own it. In Harbour Island, I was just another person walking the street. I wasn't a prince or a knight, I was just the Silver Sentry.

We went into a tavern called High Noon and sat at the bar. The bartender was pleasant enough and our surroundings were surprisingly quiet. perhaps all of the pirates and sailors were depleted after their adventures and needed this time to convalesce. I know that I did.

"Two ales," said the Iron Lass to the barkeeper, holding up two fingers.

The barkeeper poured ale from a barrel into two mugs and slid them down to us when they were done. I caught mine and drank from it just as the Iron Lass caught hers. I had only nursed them before, but at the moment I didn't care if I got a little drunk.

"You've been quiet," said the Iron Lass as if she were implying something.

"You've been quiet too," I replied.

"That's because I'm a quiet person. Pensive. You're not."

"Perhaps I'm learning to be." I looked around at the people inside the tavern. Last time I was in one of these places, I was taken off guard and that would not happen again.

The Iron Lass chugged the rest of her ale and then slammed the mug down on the bar. "Snakeskin was my mentor," she said so casually that it took me a moment to react.

"What?" I asked. I hadn't heard this part of the tale.

"He taught me everything I know about the sea. I was young, newly out of Vilquist and he took me under his wing. Things were good for a while. He made me feel special. But I learned that his wicked ways created more enemies than friends. His ship was a place of backstabbers and betrayers. You had to sleep with your eyes open if you hoped to wake up alive. It took me a while to realize what was happening...I thought I loved him. Then I outgrew him and vowed to captain my own ship with my own rules. Ever since he's been after me."

"I'm sorry Iron Lass...I had no idea."

"Do you know why I told you this?" she asked me. "It's not out of the kindness of my heart. Something heavy weighs on your shoulders and you need to get it off you. You don't carry it well."

I sighed and pushed my ale away. "It's Eldwyn...he just killed all of those people."

"And you haven't killed before?" she asked.

"I have, but he hasn't. Eldwyn is an innocent. He doesn't even like me killing people who deserve it. He may have just sent a shipful of men to their death."

"I can tell you that they all probably deserved it, Sentry."

"But that's not Eldwyn's way. Perhaps I've...corrupted him." I looked down at the floor. I couldn't have felt any less like a pirate. I cared too much and my heart was too tender.

"People change. People grow up. The way I see it, Lagoon Lad saved everyone aboard my ship and for that, I'll always be grateful. If you think he's turned to the dark side, then you should talk to him."

We left the tavern after another round of drinks, and by the time we got back to the Emperor King, it was fixed. The deck practically sparkled and the holes were patched up. Ichecked on Prince Lucas. Knives told me that he was doing well, but he was still tired and needed more rest before he could engage.

I went to my cabin to look for Eldwyn. The Iron Lass was right, I had been avoiding Eldwyn, and I needed to clear up my confusion. I slid the curtain aside, but Eldwyn wasn't on the top bunk. I searched the levels of the ship, the main deck, supplies and stores, the ballast, the galley, and the kitchen. He wasn't in any of those places either. I asked around for him, but no one had seen him.

The last place I checked was the stern. We had just begun to sail back north to the Garden Coast and I had begun to worry that Eldwyn wasn't on the ship. I saw him there, leaning against the railing looking out at the sea as the sea winds pushed his clothes around. 

"Eldwyn?" I asked, approaching him slowly.

He turned around, his eyes filled with tears. "Prince Darren...I'm sorry." He lunged at me and wrapped me in a hug.

"What's wrong?" I asked and hugged him back, rubbing his head.

"Those men...I...I..." He started to sob and I thought that my heart might break.

"All will be fine, Eldwyn. I'll make it fine."

"There's something wrong," he said, pulling away from me. "I've been feeling it ever since the dark wizard Nolein laid his hands upon me. It's like a dark mark on my soul. I thought I could fight it, but it's taking me over. I fear that it will take me over completely. Knight...I'm scared."