Chapter Eighteen: Imitations

We made good time as we traveled down the Feather Road. Eldwyn had taken a nap and Prince Lucas kept quiet in thought behind me. I felt hopeful about seeing the queens of Loria. My mother and her sister Malorie were estranged for nearly two decades, sending only the occasional letter, but this could be a way to unite all three kingdoms: Sentria, Stargon, and Loria, the three powerhouses of the south. My kingdom and Prince Lucas' have had to protect the southern realm, but with the north united against us, we would need the strength and the bank of Loria behind us.

"What are you thinking about?" asked Prince Lucas from behind me.

"Loria," I said, "My mother hardly ever discusses it, but I've done my research. They are efficient with the strongest catapults in Askeran. There's even rumors that they have more money than they report. I've heard that their bank has dealings with the southern continent of Cairon."

"I hope the queens can be convinced," said Prince Lucas. "My mother would always say, 'Loria is for lovers' but coin might be their true love."

"Their bank makes them practically independent," I reminded him. "We don't have total control over them. They have been a stable force in Askeran longer than any other kingdom in the southern realm."

"If it wasn't for the extra coin from your kingdom, Stargon and the Summerlands would have had to face the ire of the Lorian bank."

"And no one wants that." I wasn't being dramatic. Loria taxed their citizens higher than Sentria and while they had an allegiance with us, they often acted in their own self-interests. Without the influence of swaying them with coin, there wasn't much we could do when the bank made up their mind.

"Truth," said Prince Lucas as he came up from behind and jumped to the seat next to me.

"Careful, Lucas," I said.

"Oh, take a breath," Lucas said laughing. "I'm not made of glass." He had a handful of berries in his hand that the Wind Riders had packed for us and he offered me some. "Have a snack."

I took a few berries and ate them. "They picked the sweetest berries."

"I appreciate their charity, but I can't wait to eat in a castle again. I am craving roasted duck."

We kept on the path which was a straightaway. There were beautifully pink cherry blossom trees lined perfectly along the sides of the roads. They filled the air with a strong aroma that smelled like natural perfume. I closed my eyes and inhaled through my nose to let it fill up my lungs.

"High Prince Darren!" A voice said above me and it sounded like...Knight Ral. "High Prince Darren!" said the voice even louder. I looked up in the sky and I saw it. The Ravencrow. The horses started neighing so loudly that it hurt my ears.

"The horses!" said Lucas.

I looked at the horses and saw them attacking each other, biting at their necks and ripping their skin. "No! Stop!" I said, holding my hand out to them. Then the Ravencrow swooped down and pecked at my head with its sharp beak.

"Caw! Caw!" it crowed, and Lucas swiped at it as best he could. "Death to the prince!"

"Away you beast!" he said, and the bird finally flew away.

Our wagon rattled from the horses fighting, and it tipped over, throwing us onto the ground as the horses raced off down the road. Eldwyn woke up and looked around in a confused state.

"What is happening?" he asked.

"The Ravencrow Wizard," I said coldly. Storm clouds had gathered above us and the flowers that were once pretty and pink were black with rot.

We all stood up and I grabbed unsheathed my sword. The Ravencrow landed on the ground and stared at us with cold black eyes. I turned to Prince Lucas and said, "Find a place to hide. This will get violent."

He turned to me as if he was offended and said, "But, I—"

"Go!" I commanded him, and he ran off in the other direction. I turned my eyes to the skies. "Reveal yourself!" I said to the lie of a bird.

The Ravencrow descended and landed on the ground in front of Eldwyn and I and just stood there staring, as if it wanted to savor in my fury, then a green blast erupted from his feet with a sound that sounded like a monster wailing from the underworld. The blast dispersed and there stood the tall dark wizard from the Winter Ball holding onto his star staff. The winds pushed his black robe all around him like it had a mind of its own.

"My true name is Nolein," he said with a sneer.

"It will cease to matter soon," I told him.

"So much faith in your abilities." Nolein shook his head. "Since you defeated Allaster you believe that you stand a chance against me."

"Together we will defeat you," said Eldwyn with the unfaltering bravery.

"Is that so?" Nolein half-smiled. "Then let's see!"

He pushed his hand out and shot a beam of green energy. I held my shield out in front of me and planted my feet firmly, stopping the beam completely. Eldwyn created five ice spikes with waves of his hand and sent them at the wizard. Nolein shot another blast of energy from his free hand that destroyed the spikes and Eldwyn jumped out of the way before it destroyed him too.

I started pushing back against the beam with all my might. I was stronger than before and weighed a bit more too, and when I got close enough, I dug my heels in deep and swiped at Nolein with the back of my shield. He jumped in the air and turned back into the Ravencrow, circling back around and flying for Eldwyn. He summoned a blast of wind that stopped the bird mid-air and I leaped up to slash it. The Ravencrow squawked in pain as I cut his wing and he flew up in retreat.

I looked to Eldwyn and said, "I don't want him getting away, can you get him?"

"I can," he said, "I just need a lift."

I gave him a nod and he ran at me at full speed. I bent down and held out my shield towards him. He jumped on it and I pushed him up as high as I could. He created winds to push him up as he straightened his body and pointed his toes. Eldwyn grabbed onto the ends of his cape. Nolein returned to his normal form and came back down upon Eldwyn, grabbing his arms and staring into his eyes.

"Aaah!" screamed Eldwyn and I heard a sizzling sound as if the wizard burned him with his grasp. Eldwyn kicked him off and Nolein turned into the Ravencrow again. Eldwyn held out his hands, encasing him in a block of ice that sent him plummeting to the ground.

I caught Eldwyn in my arms as the frozen Ravencrow fell to the ground.

"Thank you, knight," said Eldwyn in my arms.

"Good work, Eldwyn," I said, "now to finish the job." I put him down and started walking over to the frozen bird, but Eldwyn grabbed my arm and stopped me.

"Wait, don't kill him," he pleaded.

"Eldwyn, he's a monster. If he doesn't die, he will come after us again."

"He's a living creature, isn't there something else we can do?"

I sighed, Eldwyn was still innocent in so many ways, and it was hard saying no to him, but I had to. "I'm sorry, Eldwyn. I don't have any other option. He poses too much of a risk and I have to think of the safety of Askeran...look away." I walked over to the Ravencrow and brought my Sentrian sword down hard, shattering him into hundreds of little pieces. "Now it's done."

Prince Lucas returned to the scene from the trees and looked around for any signs of danger. "Is it safe?" he asked.

"Yes," I said, "the Ravencrow is defeated."