Chapter Eight: Love and Duty

We spent another day taking the Silver Road westward. I stayed up during the night and took control of the carriage manually to watch out for Eldwyn and Lucas. I didn't mind it, it gave me time to think. The stars were twinkling brightly over the Sentrian countryside and I counted all twenty-seven constellations that represented my gods. Danos was shining especially bright this night.

In the morning we reached Colress Road and traveled northward where Holland Manse stood in all its stately glory. Mistress Kudrow was my mother's sister and their sister Malorie was one the queens of Loria. I had visited the mansion on several occasions in my youthful summers, and they were nice enough...a little off, but harmless. The older family members were the overseers of the local Village of Deter, a small hamlet nestled between Sentria and the Old Wood, and Mistress Kudrow was the landlady.

"If I recall correctly," said Prince Lucas, "Your aunt lives here, yes?"

"Yes," I said. "My Aunt Kudrow, and my ten cousins."

"Where is her partner?" asked Eldwyn.

"My Uncle Finwin I died ten years ago," I said somberly. "She's been widowed ever since."

"I heard that the death has driven her mad and that she hasn't left her home since." Prince Lucas looked out of the window toward the manse. "From what I've heard, she sends her children out to the village and never leaves her property. Lord Straw says that she spends her days breeding cats and talking to them as if they were people."

"There's nothing wrong with speaking to plants or animals," said Eldwyn. "All life communicates with one another."

I smiled at Eldwyn and he smiled back at me and Prince Lucas looked out the window. The carriage stopped and we stepped out into the cool night air. The sun had just set and yet it felt like two days had passed and not just one. We walked up to the wide red-bricked mansion with white steps, white pillars, and white shutters. It was a chilling place and there was something mysterious about it. I couldn't tell if it was the work of the night and the glowing candles in its windows, or if it was something else.

"Well, family or not," said Prince Lucas, reaching into the trunk beneath his feet. "We can't show up with a relic. Put these on." He handed Eldwyn a red winter cap, a white jacket and matching pants. "We will refer to you as Topher and you will be our valet."

Eldwyn grabbed the red cap and put it on his head, covering his pointy ears and he smiled. "I like that name."

Prince Lucas and I waited outside of the carriage for Eldwyn to get dressed, and went to the doors of the manse when he was finished. They stood behind me as I knocked three times. It was eerily silent as if the house was abandoned and the hanging lantern on the porch had cast an eerie glow around us. The door opened swiftly and my Aunt Kudrow stood there in a green puffy gown.

"Aunt Kudrow," I said, stepping closer to the light inside so that she could see me clearly. "I know that it's been many years, but It is I, Prin—"

"Darren!" she said. She threw her hands in the air and hugged me. "It has been too long since I've seen you! You've grown into a man. I can see the king in you!"

I waited for her to release me and said, "I'm so glad that you remember. And I'm sorry for our intrusion at this late hour, but my friends and I need a place to stay for the night on our way to Loria."

"Of course you can!" Aunt Kudrow looked behind me and waved at the Prince Lucas and Eldwyn. "Come in! Come in! I'll wake my valet and tell him to bring your carriage around." She held the door open and allowed us to enter her home. The entrance was spacious and dressed in rose-colored furnishings. Sofas, drapes, and the rugs were all different shades of red and there were many silver trinkets in honor of Sentria.