Chapter Six: Monolith

It was decided that Prince Lucas and I would travel with a company of eight knights. The four Sentrian knights that I came with and four from Stargon, including Arden Masters. I was gladdened to see his face; he was next-in-line after Knight Ral, making him the captain of the Stargon military. I  had sent a letter to my parents after my conversation with Lucas telling them of our mission. I was certain that they'd be happy. In their eyes, my bond with Prince Lucas secured the Colress reign and got Loria in line had been a feat that every Sentrian king has had trouble doing.

Loria was the bank of the southern region. They swore allegiance to Sentria, but they acted more independently than any other realm. With the comfort of their own riches, Loria didn't need to rely on Sentria for anything, and they would only involve themselves in conflicts if they chose to do so. It was never out of duty to the realm. They were romantics, believers of love and all things beautiful. They trained for war out of protection for themselves and not for the security of the southern lands. They were wildcards.

We traveled westward back towards my kingdom and when we met the road to my kingdom, the four knights from my kingdom returned to my castle. With war coming, Sentria needed to have its best knights. 

Our carriage had a fully-stocked trunk of food and I sat next to a steel birdcage with four doves in case we needed to send off a message. Prince Lucas sat in front of me, looking out the window with appreciation and without longing. He wasn't an adventurer, he was more than content with his future position in the royal court. A part of me envied that; to have more realistic desires without thee call to run into the forest to thwart whatever dangers resided there.

"Have you ever been to Loria?" asked Prince Lucas, still watching the lands. It had light patches of snow, like winter was stalking the lands before devouring it whole.

"I have not, but I've heard it spoken of," I said, looking out of the window as well. "The Rose Castle, my mother called it. Though her words were without affinity. She's a Lorian herself, but she hasn't been back in years. She described how green, rosy, and vibrant it was. They allow vines to overgrow on their castle, and there are gardens that stretch far out into the horizon. "

"I haven't gone either." Prince Lucas looked at me and I looked back at him. "I've always wanted to visit. I've heard many marvelous things about how sweet their treats are and their well-crafted weaponry and havenly fabrics."

"I'm afraid we won't have much time to enjoy in Lorian pleasures. We have to present a united front and convince them that our love is one for the ages."

"I don't fret at that prospect, Prince Darren."

We stopped at Lake Aksum for the horses to rest and drink and their riders to eat as well. There were tall snow-covered trees around and the lake was oval-shaped and dark blue. Lucas and I left the carriage and stretched our legs. He went for a stroll nearby and I stood by the carriage and talked with Knight Arden Masters.

"How are you feeling, Knight Arden?" I asked him.

"Good, my prince," he said, holding onto the golden hilt of his sheathed sword. "We are making good time if Muros permits."

"I meant about Knight Ral. I know that you were his prodigy. This must have been hard for you."

"It's hard everywhere," said Knight Arden. "He was more than my mentor. I was an orphan and had gotten lost in the world. Knight Ral saved me and made me the man I am today. He lives on through me and in all of my deeds."

"That's wonderful to say." I smiled and looked at the placid lake.

"How are you feeling?"

"I miss him. He was my hero."

"Forgive my impertinence, prince, but the knights of Stargon don't look fondly upon you."

"What is this?" I asked, turning back to him.

"After you and the criminal relic attacked us in the forest our love for you faded. Knight Ral was a forgiving man, but we were disrespected by your actions."

"I apologize." I pressed my hand to my chest, expressing the depth of my feelings. "I hope that you realize that it wasn't what I wanted to do. I had the weight of all of Askeran on my shoulders and time wasn't on my side."

"And now you have to win back the hearts of the Stargonian soldiers. We need Loria on our side if we hope to win this war."

"Well, I hope that I can." I wasn't upset at Knight Arden for his honesty and I didn't blame the Stargon soldiers for feeling as they did. It wasn't an enviable situation to be in, and they were committed to their code: "honor above all else". It didn't leave much room for interpretation, and their beliefs saved Knight Arden from a life of potential poverty.

Knight Arden walked back to his soldiers and I watched him. Then the strangest thing happened, the lake began to bubble as if it were a cauldron. A gray long-necked monster burst up with a gargled roar to the skies and slashed its long fin across the land, knocking the horses and the soldiers over in a devastating show of power. Their swords and shields were sent flying in all directions and even I flew back from the force of it.

Knight Arden jumped back, avoiding the slash, and unsheathed his sword. "Monolith!" he screamed and ran to the shore fearlessly.

Prince Lucas was frozen in fear away from the battle and I grabbed a Stargonian sword that was stabbed in the ground and followed after Knight Arden. As I approached, the monster shot a blast of water from its mouth and I flew back. After I tumbled, I looked up and saw knight Arden slashing at the belly of the beast, but he wasn't puncturing its slimy skin. The monolith raised its fin high as water dripped from it and brought back down on the Stargon knight with a slam that shook the land.

"No! I yelled and ran for Knight Arden as the monolith returned to the lake. "Knight Arden, are you alive?" I asked him on my knees. He looked broken with his limbs bent in wrong ways.

"Prince Darren!" Prince Lucas yelled running towards me.

The monolith reemerged from lake with another might roar. I stood up and faced it, preparing to do battle even if I was sure to die. As its mouth came down to bite me, a powerful gust came through and pushed him back. I looked up to see a figure soaring through the air. It was silhouetted at first, and then I saw who it was. "Eldwyn..." I said in disbelief. He wore a dark blue shirt and pants that were cut roughly at the edges, and belts were wrapped around his waist and his shoulder. He had a black cape that he held onto the glide on the wind. He slashed at the monolith with the ice he formed from his hand, and grabbed back onto his cape to continue gliding. The monster roared in pain and fell back. 

Knight Arden tugged at my pant leg I looked down upon him. "My belt..." he said weakly. "fire...bombs." I reached in his belt and grabbed three small red bombs from his pouch.

Eldwyn landed next to me and I stared at him without blinking. It was as if the beast was no longer there. He made everything fade away. "Eldwyn...you're here."

"That I am, knight," he said with a smile. "But I'm afraid we have this creature of the water to contend with. I looked back at the monster that was swimming back to us. It looked angrier than before, like it sought retribution for the attacks.

"I've got a treat for it." I waited for the monolith to open its mouth and I threw the bombs into its mouth.

"Wait!" said Eldwyn, too late to stop me. The monolith stopped and grumbled. Its' six big green eyes rolled back and then its stomach exploded in a disgusting array of viscera. Eldwyn used the wind to create a protective sphere around us, sparing us from the mess of guts and blood. When it stopped, Eldwyn stopped the winds and turned to me. "The creature didn't have to die, knight."

"Eldwyn, where have you been?" I looked him up and down. He had grown, not so much in his facial features but in his height. There was a power to him now as he stood straighter and more self-assured. How he used his abilities showed a mastery over his powers that he hadn't had before.

"It was over one-hundred years old. We disturbed its home. It deserved respect."

"He killed my knights, Eldwyn. what was I to do?"

Prince Lucas approached us and looked at Eldwyn with cold and bewildered eyes. Then he turned back to me. "This is horrid! What are we to do now?"