Chapter Twenty: One Voice

We traveled with the Lorian knights on horseback. I was with Knight Vastor Ein and Prince Lucas was with the thin Knight Donald Astron. The horses were pure white and they reminded me of Brio. How I missed him so.

The knights acted as if Prince Lucas and I weren't there. They spoke in a casual nature and didn't refer to us at all. I would have been offended but I was too distracted by our mission. We needed to convince them that joining us would be the right choice to offer support both financially and with their forces. The nearby villagers would send their sons to train as soldiers at Stonehard Keep, an encampment nearby, then sent to battle when the need arose. Because of this, they had almost as many soldiers as Sentria and Stargon combined.

We crossed over several bridges without having to pay any toll. These were Lorian knights and the only payment they gave was a nod of their heads. They acted as if they owned the realm, not as if they were in service to the people. Sentrian and Stargonian knights did not behave this way.

"Here we are," Vastor Ein said so casually that I didn't realize he was speaking to me at first.

The golden gates of Loria opened for us like they were the gates of haven. The first sights we saw were two statues of the queens made of indigo stones. They were twenty feet high and their arms were wrapped around each other.

"The queens will be out for their walk right now," said Vastor, "we'll set you up with a room and come for you when they return."

I opened my mouth, wanting to tell him that it's proper procedure for princes to be greeted at the castle steps, but for the sake of diplomacy I let yet another offense slip by.

We were brought to the Rose Castle. It was bold and painted pink and overgrown with green vines. There were four tall towers at its four corners and an even taller tower in the center of it. Their dolphin banner waved proudly in the cold wind and yet the tower still seemed like a warm place, as if it was too bright to feel the chill.

They led us through the castle where we passed well-dressed dignitaries and other knights until we were brought to our room on the second floor. It was large for a guest room and nearly as big as my royal bedroom. I could tell that Lucas was impressed as well by the way that he looking at all details of the furnishings. There was a large bed with pink coverings, pink flowers on a round table next to the window, large white vases, and a spacious wardrobe. The carpet had many circles on it and it was soft like a pillow.

"Those knights were foul," said Prince Lucas looking out of the floor-length window to the kingdom below. "They would have never been knights in Stargon."

"Don't be fooled by their temperament," I warned Lucas. "They are without manners but they aren't without skill. They are well-trained and we would be fortunate to have them."

"I've heard of their skill, but that gives them no right to treat princes with such disrespect." Lucas turned around slowly and looked sympathetic. "I'm certain he will be fine."

I looked at him and blinked a few times.

"Eldwyn," he said, "I know you're worried about him, but in the short time I've known him he''s been a resourceful fellow. When we leave here we'll meet back up with him and we'll be on our way back home."

I walked over to Lucas and hugged him. I needed to hear that. I tried to keep a tough facade as much as I could, but I appreciated that Lucas could sense my heart. "Thank you," I said.

"Now, let's get dressed. If the queens see us in muddy robes, they'll send us away before we can utter a single word."

"You are not overexaggerating," I said with a laugh.