Chapter Four: The Winter Ball

I found my opening and escaped to my chamber as soon as I could. I felt surrounded by the Marbury's oppressive generosity, as if the past no longer existed and that all was right. They knew that to keep order between our kingdoms and the realm as a whole they had to put aside their own feelings and poured on their hospitality. I still would've preferred if we lived in a world where our true expressions could be seen. The outburst with my father—while not my shiniest moment—was still rooted in truth. A luxury I wasn't often provided in the royal court.

I lied in my bed, dreading the Winter Ball that would be starting shortly, and imagined myself elsewhere, flying high through the skies without a care in the world until I drifted off to sleep. 

A knock upon my door some time later awakened me and I opened my eyes to find a figure walked toward me. My vision cleared and I saw that it was Prince Lucas in a gold long-sleeved shirt and long white pants.

"Prince Lucas," I said, pushing myself up and hoping that I didn't look too drowsy.

"No need to stand," said Prince Lucas, holding out his hand. "I'm not here on official matters, I only came here to see you you were."

"I'm well," I said, deciding to stand anyway. "Stargon is just as welcoming as before."

"I should hope so." Prince Lucas took a step closer. "I wanted you to know that I forgive you for the incident last year. It's in the past."

"You do?" I didn't have to ask for what. I knew what he was referring to.

"I do. It wasn't the most ideal time. A black tower had arisen in the dead of night, promising certain doom. You felt responsible for saving Askeran, and more importantly, you did. Our parents are slaves to form and they would take such an action as a sign of disrespect, but we don't have to be like them. We can be better."

I smiled naturally and breathed a sigh of relief. I assumed that everyone, beneath their niceties, despised me and my actions. It was nice to know that I wasn't everyone's secret enemy.

"That's a relief to hear," I said. "I thought that I'd reach old age before a Marbury would forgive me in earnest."

"Perish the thought. I am nothing like my father." he said and took another step closer. "Where is Eldwyn if I might ask?"

"Oh, well, he returned to his home to the Misty Moors."

"Ah, yes. From whence he came. I wanted to give him my thanks. I can't believe how inconsiderate everyone has been. When I saw those fireballs turn to ice, I knew it had to be the work of a relic. It was Eldwyn, was it not?"

"It was. His newly manifested ice powers saved the realm. My parents silenced me from repeating this truth, but an unspoken truth doesn't become a lie."

"And yet people won't change their stance on relics. It can be maddening how they ignore the truth if it doesn't fit their narrative." He took one more step closer to me and he grabbed my wrists. "I wanted you to know that I still believe that we can change things. Our reign will be the union of legends...I know that in time you will feel for me as I feel for you. It is fate."

I stared at him. There was no denying that he was a beautiful boy and his heart wasn't rotten like so many royal youths, and yet I couldn't stop thinking about my one true love. If I had my say, a life of loneliness would have been preferable than being with anyone else, but as it always does, my royal obligations preceded all.

"Let us see what the future holds, Prince Lucas." That was the most that I could offer him. That and a smile.

The Winter Ball was an extravagant event with gold and silver streamers hung on the ceiling and everyone dressed in their finest Winter wear. It wasn't all that cold yet, but that didn't stop the wealthiest in the land from showing off their best outfits. There were furs and sheepskins and layered coats and long-sleeved dresses bejeweled with the finest gems from Loria. I wore a  silver tunic embellished with gold buttons and a gold-lined cape in reverence to Stargon. There was a dance to start the evening in honor of Isla, our goddess of peace. Four women dressed in white, twirled around in circles to the sounds of violins, coming together and separating like they were reflections of each other.