Like real people do

Trigger warning
Draco's POV
It has been a month since Hermione and I have moved into Grimmauld Place. Although she is keeping her parents home we agreed it would be safer for her to live here. This house was once fit for the wealthy, but after people continuing to move in and out the place had become somewhat of a mess. As Kreacher continued to clean it up I pitched in when I could. Hermione and I had agreed to free Kreacher much to his dismay. While cleaning one of the rooms I noticed a large mural on the wall. Although my mother was a Black we didn't have much contact with them. I examined the tree and noticed scorched faces. Blood traitors. One of the names read Sirius Black. Although I never met the man we had more in common than I thought. We are castaways that our family didn't see fit. I wish I had made my choice sooner. I walk out of the room not being able to look at it anymore. Knowing that would happen to our family pictures was too much to bare. As I sat down on the couch in the living room I heard a knock at the door. Hermione was sitting on the opposite couch and quickly looked up from her book.
"Stay here." I say just above a whisper as I grab my wand and head towards the door. When I look through the eyehole I only see Fred Weasley. As I unlatch the door and open it he furrows his eyebrows.
"Malfoy what are you doing here?" He asks with a scowl.
"I live here. What are you doing here?" I ask while looking behind him for spies.
"I'm here to see Mione. Where is she?" He says while trying to brush past me. I block his entrance with my shoulder and close the door slightly.
"Hold on. I will be right back. Stay here." I respond while shutting the door.
"Hermione it's Fred. What would you like me to do?" I ask quietly so he can't hear.
"Please just make him leave. I don't want to see him right now. I'm- I'm not ready." She says with a quivering voice. I nod and once again crack the door open.
"She isn't here. Don't come back here again without an invite." I reply while trying to shut the door. He ignored me and sticks his foot in the door before it closes. As he tries to come in I once again block him and position myself in the doorway.
"Move Malfoy or I'll make you move." He utters with a glare.
"Weasel, while classes were never your strong suit, I gave Hermione a run for her money. I suggest you don't try to duel the person who almost made her second in DADA." I say while clenching my jaw. Before he can reach to grab his wand mine is pressed against his neck.
"I don't want to hurt you but I will. Leave now." I growl while shaking with rage. He slowly backs away and apparates away while I shut and lock the door. As I turn to head back into the living room I feel arms wrap around me. The sudden contact causes me to flinch. Once I realize it's Hermione I hug her back before she pulls away. I lead her back to the couch and we sat in silence for several minutes.
"Draco, if you don't mind me asking.... why are you so easily startled?" She asks which causes years of memories to flood my mind.
"Well it's hard to explain." I whisper while processing how to tell her.
"I'm sorry I shouldn't have asked." She said while scooting away. I grab her wrist and stop her. My eyes slowly meet hers and I draw in a ragged breath.
"Just-just give me a second. I need to figure out how to describe this." As I respond she slowly scoots closer as to not startle me away.
"I never had any friends. Not like you, Harry and-" I pause unable to finish the sentence.
"And Ron" she says quietly.
"Yes. I had Crabb and Goyle which weren't exactly the best listeners. I'm positive to this day if I had told them to jump off a cliff they would have asked which one. Growing up I didn't have that relationship. I never had someone I could trust completely. Even Blaise would expose me if it put him a peg ahead. I know this doesn't make sense but I'm trying to say I didn't have anyone to talk to. I couldn't even fully trust my mother. Although she was the only real family I had there were always listeners. So what I'm about to tell you will be difficult because this is the first time I have talked about it." I say while looking towards the floor. I feel her lean and put a hand carefully on my back.
"Draco, whatever you have to stay will stay between us. You don't have to worry about someone listening. We are the only ones here and no one can come in without an invite. I understand if this is too difficult and you want to stop here. Trust takes time." She responds while rubbing her hand up and down my back.
"It's okay. I want to continue." I pause, trying to find the words.
"My father loved reputations and had high expectations for the family. When you didn't live up to those expectations there were punishments." I say looking up at her
"The house elves weren't the only ones he liked to beat." I mumble as a tear slips down my cheek. She sits silently waiting for me to continue.
"My mother knew but there was nothing she could do. Since reputations were so important to him it was always somewhere people wouldn't be able to see. It started right before I left for Hogwarts. Unlike certain people I was expected home for Christmas whether or not I had an abusive father. Based on what I've heard it's a pureblood thing. It has to do with you respecting them enough to punish you when you deserve it. I see it as an excuse to take your anger out on your children. That's why I was so desperate to be on the quidditch team, if I wasn't I knew I would have a surprise when I got home." I finish while wiping my face.
"Do the scars still hurt you?" She asks with concern.
"Not really. Only one that counts." I answer looking at my arm. She follows my gaze and I push my sleeve down past my hand.
"I thought since Voldemort's gone they stopped hurting?" She questioned while carefully taking my left hand in hers.
"Although he's gone it's a different type of pain. When he called on us it was a light burn. Now that he's dead it's a searing that comes and goes as it pleases." I say slowly easing up my sleeve. The dark ink gradually reveals itself from my black dress shirt. Her hand carefully traces the mark. It's fingertips delicately swirl around the skull and snakes.
"Does your scar still hurt?" I ask peering down at her arm.
"Only in my dreams." She responds lifting up her sleeve. I see the terrible words that are inscribed in her skin. I'm flooded with emotions as I carefully reach my hand out to touch it. Unlike my smooth reminder her's is jagged and has ridges. As my fingertips trace the letters I feel goosebumps rise on her skin.
"Draco when I asked if they were still painful you said not really. That means there is still some pain. Is there anything I can do to help?" She asks while searching my face for a response.
"I- I don't know. I never learned much about healing so they mostly closed on their own." I replied while feeling my shirt rub on a sensitive spot.
"While at Hogwarts I would help Madam Pomfry in the infirmary. I know this is difficult but in order to know how to help I have to ask. When was the last time this happened? And-" she hesitated.
"And what?" I asked cautiously.
"And I need to know what your father did." She answered with a frown.
"It has been a couple months. He mainly used sectumsempra and diffindo. I can't remember the others." I replied.
"And where are they located?" She asked while her eyes scanned what skin was currently exposed.
"I think they are mostly located on my chest and back." I note while looking at the floor again.
"Draco if you want I can help you. If it makes you uncomfortable, which I completely understand, I can teach you some healing spells that should help." She proposes while fiddling with her hands.
"No it's okay. I've never been good at healing spells. Plus I wouldn't know which ones to use." I insist while my shaking hands extend up. They reach the top of my shirt and fumble with the buttons. Hermione's hands gently grab mine to stop them.
"Draco I really do understand if this is too much for you. If you want I could get some healing cream. It may take a little longer but-" I interrupt her before she can finish.
"No. I'm fine. It just hurts to move too much." I whisper while trying to keep my voice even.
"Okay. I am going to get the supplies I will need to treat you." She says while leaving to collect things.