Anne Boleyn (SIX) ^-Angst-^

Requested?: yep, by @TurtleLurky

Title: Moonlight

Anne Boleyn's POV

When your coping mechanism for trauma is exclusively humor, you're gonna eventually break down and it's not gonna be pretty when you do.

That was the life lesson I learned at 1:14am, I'm the kitchen floor, frozen with terror.

I just wanted to get myself a late night snack, but instead I saw a knife laid on the counter reflecting the moonlight just right, and reminding me of the sword that caused a permanent scar on both my mind and my neck.

My mind clouded with unadulterated fear that reduced me to a panicky mess on the kitchen floor, mind clouded with fear of "he's here, Henry's here and he's gonna cut off my head".

The most frustrating part was, the rational part of me knew he wasn't here. He was dead centuries ago, but he was always there to haunt me. I could see his shadow at night, lurking. I could see his eyes everywhere, hear his voice taunting me in public.

I knew I should really call someone, anyone to help. But I didn't know who, or how they would calm me down. But still, I shakily reached for the cellphone I'd dropped on the counter and clicked on Jane's contact.

After a couple seconds, she picked up. I heard her sleepy voice grounding me as my vision went all blurry and wonky.

"Anne? It's past 1, what do you need?" She asked groggily.

"Kitchen, panicking." I filled her in between breaths as my head spun.

"I'm gonna call (y/n), okay? She'll help, I'm gonna go back to bed." She informed me, hanging up before I could protest that I wanted her calming presence, and not the girl I had a crush on to see me like this.

It felt like an eternity of sitting there, breath speeding up as the terrible ticking of the clock persisted. The knife glinted in the moonlight streaming in from the window.

I was back at my execution, with cheering people in their old 1500's garb surrounding me. A harsh, cold man taking my elbow and practically shoving me to the ground. He had a sword, a long, shiny sword that caught the light in the most sickening way.

All because Henry accused me of cheating on him, I had to die in this horrific manner.

I was so lost in reliving the worst moments I'd ever experienced that I didn't even hear (y/n) come in. I didn't notice she was there until I saw the shadow of a person dancing across my blurry vision. I yelped, sobbing. I didn't care how loud I was or if I woke anyone, I was just terrified that I was going to die again.

"Hey, hey Anne." I heard a voice whisper as she sat next to me, not touching me and out of my vision.

I coughed, trying to breathe while sobbing. I couldn't speak, I couldn't articulate my thoughts before I coughed out a single "(y/n)."

"Yeah, it's just me. Nobody is here to hurt you. I've got you, Annie." She whispered. I calmed slightly hearing her soft voice.

"You wanna explain whats going on, Annie? You're here, you're with me, I've got you honey." She whispered, hovering near me. I looked up at her, vision blurry as my heart rate slow a bit.

"Well I saw... I saw that knife, that someone left out, and- and it reminded-" I sobbed. She immediately sat next to me, against the cabinets. Her shoulder brushed mine and I leaned into the grounding contact. I stopped speaking, unable to word the rest. She had clearly figured it out, though.

"That's terrible, Annie. I'm so sorry. But you're here now and he's long dead, and if anyone tries to hurt you ever again I'm here to protect you." She whispered. I nuzzled my face into her shoulder, crying, and she turned to hug me as I did. I felt safe, hesitantly wrapping my arms around her waist to pull her closer. I crawled into her lap, just desperate to be as close and safe as possible. She was warm, and soft, and her hair smelled like lavender. Besides the other queens, she was my best friend.

I picked up my head and looked at her face, all soft and concerned in the moonlight. It was familiar and comforting.

But it came as a real shock when that was the moment I realized I was in love with her, and had been for years. I pulled her into a tight hug again, which she instinctively reciprocated.

"Thank you, (y/n). You're the best. I'm kinda better now, I feel okay." I breathed in her ear. I could practically feel her gentle smile against me as she kissed my hair.

"I'm glad. You know you can let me know whenever you feel shitty, right?" She murmured. I nodded, tightening my hold on her.

"Yeah, I do. You always take care of me, (y/n), I don't know how I can ever repay you." I told her in a quiet whisper.

"You don't need to, you don't owe me. I just do what friends do, Annie. That's that. Now, what about I put the knife away and grab your snack for you." She whispered, starting to pull away. I reacted immediately, tightening my hold on her.

"No, stay." I whimpered, snuggling into her. I could feel her chuckling as she pulled me closer on her lap.

"Okay, Annie. Anything for you."

Yeah, I was in love with (y/n) (l/n). I would tell her someday, but today was not that day. Today, I was content just holding her and being held by my best friend, tears dried on my face, in the moonlight.

(949 words)