Chapter 33

Suggestion by scooby_did and LockedIn23

Cara's POV

I got to Clem's apartment just after eight in the evening, very soon after I arrived Clem and I headed up to the roof to stargaze. We stayed up there snuggled under a blanket, together, for what felt like hours. I had never stargazed before but it was hard to keep when Clem was beside me. We sat in silence until Clem spoke up.

"I used to do this all the time with my brother," She spoke.

"You have a brother?" I asked. Clemmie had never once spoken about her brother to me. In fact, I didn't even know she has a brother.

"Had," She said just quiet enough for me to hear, "It was a long time ago," she added resting her head on my chest. We sat there in a comfortable silence for a few more minutes until we heard the door open.

"Girls, it's getting late. Why don't you come inside?" Katie asked.

"Coming," I called. We collected our stuff and headed back inside. As we entered their apartment I checked my watch and saw that it was nearly eleven at night, "I should get going," I told them.

"Nonsense," Katie began, "It's nearly eleven, I don't want you walking home this late," She added.

"It's fine I can get a cab," I tried.

"No, you can stay here for the night, I'll text your parents," Katie said, "Clemmie, would you get Cara some bedding and a mattress while I text her parents?"

"Sure, mum," Clem said.

After getting ready for bed Katie closed Clemmie's bedroom door. I was on the floor while Clem was in her bed.

"Cara, are you awake?" She whispered.

"Yeah," I answered.

"I can't sleep," She admitted.

"Do you want me to come up?" I asked.

"Please," she mumbled. I lifted the covers, while Clem shifted over to make room. After I had got comfortable Clem wriggled over and laid her head on my chest. Not long after I heard small snores coming from her slightly parted lips.

Clemmie's POV

It's just a dream, just a dream. I tried to reassure myself, as I looked around familiar surroundings. I was back at Joseph's. I looked across the room to see a younger version of me and my brother in a corner with Joseph towering over us, but just before he hit Luke it switched to us in the car. The day of the car crash. I tried to scream as I saw the truck coming for us, but nothing came out.

I woke up gasping for air, drenched in sweat. I heard Cara stir next to me. I tucked my knees to my chest to try and hide my tears. But it was no use, I felt a hand start to rub my back.

"Hey, are you alright?" I heard Cara ask. All I could do was shake my head in response as I flung my arms around her burying my head in her neck. "Hey, it's okay, it's over," She said rubbing my back, "Do you wanna talk about it?" She asked softly. I shook my head in response, once more. We sat there, in silence, for a few more minutes when Cara got out of bed and started putting on her jacket.

"W-what are you doing?" I asked.

"There's a place I go if I can't sleep, and I can guarantee you'll like it," she said, "come on, get changed and grab a key," she said walking out of my room.

After getting changed I grabbed a jacket and a house key. Once we were on the street Cara grabbed my hand in hers and started running. We ended up outside of an ice cream parlour. "Come on," she said leading me inside. "Sup Will?" She greeted the guy at the counter. Leaping over the side as she started serving some ice cream as if it was a usual occurrence.

"Cara, long time, no see. Where you been?" The guy named Will greeted. "Hugh's been missing you," He said nodding to the back of the shop.

"Is that my favourite customer I hear?" A bellowing voice said as a middle-aged man came out, "Cara!"

"Hey, Hugh,"

"What brings you here?" he asks her, Cara nods to me, smirking.

"Couldn't sleep," She simply states, I look down at my feet.

"Well you brought her to the right place," Hugh states as Cara places a cup of cookie dough on the counter. And walks around with a cup of her own. She starts to get out a ten-dollar bill.

"It's on the house," Will states.

"Will, come on! You do this every time!" Cara says, annoyed.

"Cara, it's on us," Hugh states calmly, Cara lets out a sigh and put the bill in the tip box. Before starting to walk out.

"Thank you!" I called behind me, as Cara opened the door for me. "How did you know this was my favourite flavour?" I asked once we were back on the street.

"I pay attention at movie night," Cara says shrugging her shoulders. Once we reach the edge of a park Cara places her empty cup in the bin, I however still had some left that I decided to play with. As we walked through the park Cara placed her arm around me.

"I know it's none of my business, but do you want to talk about your nightmare?" She asked, softly pressing her lips on my forehead.

"I didn't have an easy life before going into the foster system. I lost my mum when I was a baby, and my brother on my sixth birthday, in a car accident. I guess bringing him up earlier triggered the dream,"

"I'm sorry," Cara mumbled. pulling me in tighter.

"Why? You're not the one who killed them. that was my dad," I said staring at my now melted ice cream. I felt a hand take the cup from me and place it on a nearby bench.

Cara put two fingers under my chin so I was now looking at her ocean blue eyes. "I've never told you how brave you are," she admitted, I scoffed in response. "I'm serious, what you've been through can't have been easy, and I admire you for that, every day. I love you so much, Clem," She told me. I was slightly taken aback. I just stared at her in amazement before leaning in joining our lips together.

Once we separated, Cara checked her watch, "Oh, shoot! It's almost six, I need to get you home. Your mom's gonna kill me,"

Once we got back outside my apartment I pulled Cara in for another kiss, "What was that for?" She asked, "not that I didn't like it or anything-" I interrupted her again by giving her a soft kiss.

"Thank you," I whispered.

"If that's your way of telling me to shut up I love it," she admitted, I lightly shoved her before turning the key.

We tried to creep back into my bedroom but were stopped dead in our tracks by a lamp in the lounge being turned on.

"Hey, Mum," I winced.

"Hey, Clemence," she greeted. Oh no she used my full name, I'm in trouble. "Cara, would you please excuse us,"

"Before I do go. Clem couldn't sleep so I took her on a walk around the park, I was with her the entire time," Cara explained. I gave her a gentle smile before she entered my room.

"Mum, I'm sorry. I know I should've left a note. I couldn't sleep and Cara said she wanted to take me somewhere to take my mind off the subject-"

"Clem, I'm not mad," she said softly. Wait, what?

"What?"

"I'm not mad, I used to do the same. But I do need a note because then I don't freak out," She explained.

"Sorry Mum," I admitted, "It won't happen again," I said before giving her a hug and heading back to bed.

A/N: Please Keep sending in suggestions. Stay safe!

Bec