-Chapter Twenty Three-

Beep.

Beep.

Beeeeeep.

I open my eyes slowly, white light leaking in. I can make out the faint machines, the sounds of the hovercraft are soft.

Hovercraft, thats right. I'm not in the arena anymore. I'm headed to Baez, at least that's what I think.

I'm lying down on some sort of table, and in a hospital gown. My arena clothes are gone, but my weapons and all belongings in my bag are on a table. Just looking at those weapons makes my body shake, so I look away and sit up. I take a deep breath, and it feels good. I still can't believe I'm out of the hell hole.

But just because I'm out, doesn't mean I'm safe. With a lot of courage, I grasp my knife handle.

"Your Majesty! You're awake!" A familiar voice calls from behind me.

"Your Majesty?" I mutter, then I turn. It's Anastasia.

I drop the knife and run to her arms. "It's good to see you." She says. "I watched you in the arena. You fought well, you were brave. I hope you can carry that act as Queen."

"Right." I whisper, pulling away. "Where are we going?"

"Baez, just to get you prepared. Your family is already there, and we're going to interview you all together! Then, your family will be sent back to Serenade for legal reasons, having to do a lot of paper work, packing, loads of other stuff... but you'll be in the palace planning the coronation, and after the coronation, you will have to travel to all the provinces to give condolences about...well...you know." Anastasia says.

"Okay. Yea, I get it."

"Now, I brought you these." She holds out a folded dress and a pair of flats. "I know you don't want to, but the provinces of Thecia will see you the second you step out of the hovercraft."

She leaves the room, and I look at the dress. A simple navy velvet design, with slick longsleeves that pierce together like an hour glass, and droop down again. The skirt is rather large, and a thin type of belt is wrapped around the waist multiple times.

She wants me to wear this? I look like a disaster! I'm covered in cuts, and blood and-

Am I?

I reach for my forehead, where my cut is supposed to be, and only a small bump remains. My arms! They're healed! My legs, no cuts, only scars! But the scars will stay there for the rest of my life, which means I can't forget. I can't forget the horrors, the deaths, the pain. A shiver runs down my spine as I change into the gown and flats.

I reach for my hair, but its already done is a single braid down my back. I wonder how they all did this when I was out.

A faint knock sounds. "Are you ready Aspen? We're landing!"

"Yes." I whisper, and the door opens. I can see a window! I rush over to it, peering out the door. I can see thousands of people waving at the hovercraft, waiting for it to land.

"They're waiting for you, Aspen." Anastasia whispers in my ear.

I walk away from the window. They want to see a person that killed someone, killed multiple people. I feel the hovercraft land on the ground, the cheers are deafening.

The flap opens, and Anastasia leads me to step onto the ground.

The ground.

Normal, not the arena ground.

I'm shaking so hard that I have to grab Anastasia's hand. I'm free. I'm a free butterfly.

Not really, actually. I might seem like it, but I'm not. Just think about it.

"I love you Aspen!" A woman screams, reaching for me. I grab her hand for a brief moment and shake it as a symbol of kindness. I blow kisses, I try to act ok, I try to act like a Queen. I think I'm doing well.

"God save the Queen!" The crowd chants. I smile, blowing more kisses into the air. The saying came from England hundreds of years back. It was used as a symbol of respect. Even though religion is banned, people still say it and don't pay attention to the meaning.

Now I realize my location. I'm back in Baez, in front of the grand Marble building. During training, I could barely see the building from my view. Now, it looks so much bigger than on tv!

It seems a few changes have been made over the years , things I didn't realize. More color has been added besides the bland marble gray, more windows, more gold and less boxy shapes. It could pass as a different palace since I last saw it on tv!

"Your Majesty! Right this way!" A dozen of guards open the large doors to the palace, blinding candle light coming into view. I'm so marveled by it! This is my home now! I live in such a beautiful palace!

The doors close, and the cheering has fainted down. Guards follow me everywhere, sharp swords hanging at their waists.

Swords. Knives. Even a bow an arrow.

No! Aspen! Stop it! It's over, it's over. It won't come back. It won't come back!

It will! It will come back! My nightmares will haunt me! I feel like breaking down in the middle of the room until I see his face.

His face.

Kato.

Time stops. Nothing can come between us. No one is between us. I can't control myself, a force is pulling me towards him so quickly, nothing else matters. Just him! Just us. I crash into him, practically sobbing tears of joy and he lifts me up into the air spinning. I can't help but kiss him! I keep telling him that I missed him, that I love him! I don't care who's looking at me! I just need him, I need me love with me, holding me high. I shaking harder than I ever have holding his face. I just can't believe I have Kato in my arms. That I'm alive. That I'm living to tell the tale.

"Welcome home, darling."