Chapter 2

Yams opened up the large gym doors, gripping the handle so tight his knuckle went a deathly white. 

There were a few people already inside and standing on the court:

Hinata was having an argument with Kageyama, shouting something about milk and vending machines

Daichi and Suga were discussing tactics in the corner while Tanaka begged Suga to come and set for him.

And Tsukishima was by himself, jumping up and reaching over the net to try and see how high his fingertips could reach.

He shot an annoyed glance at Tanaka as he touched back down on the ground.

Yama realised that Tanaka wasn't giving him balls to block because of what had happened today.

He sighed. He should have never gotten mad at Tsukishima. He hadn't meant to snap but the constant feeling of being underestimated was getting more annoying than he'd like to admit. It was his fault. He shouldn't have done that to Tsukki, it was stupid and pointless and nobody deserved that.

Yamaguchi grabbed one of the red, green and white striped balls, inhaling deeply and stepping forward.

He threw the ball in the air and smashed it forward with his hand, just as Tsukki noticed him. 

The tall blond jumped into the air, stretching his fingers up and blocking the ball so it bounced back to Yama.

As he hit the floor he let out a soft grunt and rolled his ankle around.

Yams grabbed the ball back off the ground, shooting Tsukki a worried glance and starting to speak but the middle blocker just shook his head in an 'It's fine' way.

Yams took a deep breath. He repeated his last actions but more powerfully, sending the ball to the opposite side of where Tsukki was standing.

He darted sidewards but his hands never shot up.

The ball hit the other side of the court with what would come to be an agonisingly loud bang and Yama's mouth fell open.

He did it.

Yamaguchi had gotten past Tsukishimas block.

But then he realised Tsukki had his eyes squeezed shut, inhaling with sharp breaths.

Yama called out his name out of pure concern and everyone turned to look at him as he rushed forward.

"Are you ok?" Yams asked, reaching out an arm to support him. 

Tsukki nodded but didn't refuse Yamaguchi's help and let the smaller boy wrap his arm around him.

"Tsukishima?" Daichi called warily, staring at him. The blond didn't have it in him to respond. 

"Can you even walk?" Yams asked and even though Tsukki nodded once again, the moment he put his foot down he bit his lip, hard.

"You're hurt." Yama hissed at him.

"No it's fine," He growled back "I can play."

Yama shook his head "No way. You're not doing anything when you're hurt."

"No one has to know." He murmured, pushing Yama away "It's not even bad I'll just shake it off."

Yams narrowed his eyes and went to speak but Tsukki stared him down "Listen to me, Yamaguchi. It's not your choice."

The green-haired boy shook his head "You need to get it checked out Tsukki. You could permanently-"

"No." He stood up straighter and signalled he was fine to the captain. 

"Tsukki-"

"Tadashi." Tsukki said, reaching out as if to grab his hand and then deciding against it "Please."

Yama knew he couldn't say no. The 'please' was his way of apologising for today but what really got him was the way that Tsukki said his first name.

"Fine I-ugh fine Kei." Yama left his side, grabbing another ball and throwing it. It decided to fly towards Hinata, who was way too involved in the argument to notice. Tsukishima watched as he made his way to the bench so he could rest his ankle momentarily. 

Kageyama snorted as it slammed it Hinata's face "What do you want?" he called.

"Can you set for me?" He asked Kageyama who chuckled.

"You want my help freckles?"

Yama reached a hand up to hide his face, blushing unhappily.

Hinata shoved him but he didn't stop. 

"Haven't got glasses to back you up this time?" Kageyama wasn't that bad of a guy but Tsukishima got to him in a way he couldn't return. So instead, the obvious choice of a target was Yamaguchi. 

"Pathetic," Tsukishima muttered from the bench just loud enough for Kageyama to hear. 

"Someones reached a new low for the 'King of the Court'. "

Kageyama clenched his fists, death staring the pale boy but before he could say anything Daichi yelled out that they were gonna have a match for practice.

Asahi and Noya ran in at that moment shouting "Sorry!" and a second later Takeda and Kiyoko followed.

They darted into their positions, Tsukishima and Yamaguchi naturally on the same team.

Tsukki and Yama's side lost both sets. 

20-25

22-25

Tsukishima's ankle was burning like hell at the end. He muttered goodbye to everyone and then walked out, turning as a certain someone called his name.

"Tsukki!" Yama exclaimed. The blond turned back to look at him.

"What?"

"You're an idiot, you know?" 

"What's new," He murmured under his breath.

"But I'll be here for you. Don't you dare push me away."

Tsukki gave a quick nod in response but god was his stomach flipping  "I'll see you tomorrow Tadashi."

"At the park?"

"No."

Yamaguchi tensed, his grin fading as he stuttered "Oh uh-okay." 

Tsukishima walked home with the smallest of smiles on his face.