Chapter 23

Karasuno had won the first match. 

21-25

It was close to be fair, and Nekoma were doing quite okay. It was nothing special considering how good their reputation was, but it was obvious why. Kenma and Kuroo hadn't talked. The brain had been damaged, the spine cracked and the heart was broken.

Of course, they still tried to play their best. Yaku's amazing dives corrected their mistakes and Lev was getting better, with him and the libero working in sync. Kuroo played hard but looked rather emotionless while Kenma just did what he had to do.

"All right" shouted Yamamoto sipping from his water bottle aggressively "That's enough!"

Throwing the bottle on the ground, he pointed a finger at Kuroo and then Kenma "Leave. Your. Personal. Relationships. Out. Of. Volleyball." 

Yaku stared at him angrily "Hey-"

"No! We've gotta get our act together! Yaku you're saving all our rookie mistakes, mistakes that shouldn't have to be saved because they shouldn't have been made! We can't let Karasuno beat us!"

Yaku tried again "Look, Yamamoto-" 

"No he's right," Lev stated suddenly, wiping the sweat from his forehead. 

Yaku spun around with a 'you're supposed to back me up' look.

"Come on, this is just a practice match after all!"

"Yes, it might just be a practice match, but every game we lose damages our reputation. The best shot we have at success is now since Yaku, Kuroo and Kai are gonna be gone next year. I know it's hard but..."

"What are you saying?" Demanded Yaku. 

"I'm saying-" he paused briefly "I think he's right. Personal relationships should be left out of the game." 

"So...does that mean like...no team dating?" asked Fukunaga out of curiosity. 

"Uh..." Lev's eyes widened "Well I don't about t h a t but-"

"Yes." Murmured Yamamoto "That's the only way to do it."

A look of pain flickered across many of the member's faces as they all watched their beloved captain walk over to stand beside Yamamoto. 

"We're going to further this year," he decided, "Relationships and fights stay off the court."

"Lev?" Asked Yamamoto.

The grey-haired boy let out a soft sigh "I mean I play...we play to win." he followed Kuroo hesitantly. 

"Wait what, we're picking sides now?" asked Inuoka looking shocked, "surely now, isn't the best time for this?" 

"Don't worry, we're not picking sides," Kuroo said firmly, "this isn't optional."

Yaku looked absolutely enraged. 

"You cannot be serious, is this what you're choosing?" He snapped at all of them, particularly Lev "you can't just make a decision like that over one poor game!" 

Some of the Karasuno players glanced over the court but quickly looked away. Not Yamaguchi though, he kept his eyes on the players, even daring to walk closer so that he could hear better.

"It'll be worse then that if we end up like..." Lev trailed off, glancing at captain and setter.

"...Look Yaku, I just don't want to put the team at risk!"

"So this is it then?" The smaller asked, staring daggers at the younger of the two.  

Lev didn't reply, he just swallowed uncomfortably.

"You're a coward Lev. A fucking coward."

"Yaku please," said Kuroo, reaching out his hand "It's for the team-"

Shibayama took a deep breath and stepped forward, aligning himself with Yaku "This isn't for the team. You're trying to convince yourself that everything's going to be okay when it's not. Our bonds are what makes us such a strong team."

Inuoka stood beside his friend "I agree, I love volleyball but this isn't how I want to play." 

Three against three, it was a vote. 

Fukunaga didn't know what to say "I-no. Why should we have to pick a side, this is so stupid-"

"Kai," Said Kuroom "Do you remember what you said back when we were first years? What you wanted to achieve in the volleyball?"

"I said I wanted to dominate nationals" he whispered softly, a look of pain in his eyes. 

"So do you want us to be stronger?" Yamamoto asked him.

"Who wouldn't?"

Yaku could tell this was hurting him and it was hard for him to watch that.

"It's okay," he told him "You can make your own decision." 

"But...it's not right-"

"It's your choice, no one really minds." 

Kai blinked slowly. Then with a soft groan, he took a step towards the mother-like figure. Yaku was surprised "Kai?"

"You were always there for me in our first year. I trust your judgment, and everything we are comes from our emotions. There's no point having a team with lots of skill that doesn't click." 

Yamamoto grunted then spun around "Fukunaga!"

The boy looked torn. 

"We grew up together! You trust me, don't you?"

"Well..."

"Well, what! You know this is what's best for the team!"

"Why are we even voting on this? I thought the captain's decision was final-"

"It is." Kuroo stated. 

Yaku knew what would happen but that was okay. He had just as many people on his side as they did. That would leave Kenma.

Fukunaga went with the captain, and no one spoke as the next game was about to start. 

Kenma stared at the two groups and shook his head-

"No."

Everyone was silent and this seemed to aggravate Kenma.

He turned to look at Yaku and with a somewhat neutral expression asked "What are you planning to do? Kuroo just said the captains word was final-are you all just going to quit the team? Leave your passion behind over one stupid fight?"

Yaku didn't know how to answer but (luckily?) he didn't get a chance too.

"And how could our captain be so stubborn?" Kenma continued, turning around "It's not like you can do much either, what are you just gonna cut off half the team? Because that's definitely going to get you to nationals!"

Kuroo tensed.

"Despite what anyone thought, I liked volleyball. It was...fun. But it's not like that anymore. It's...It's work. And that's not why I joined the club-"

"Wait Kenma-" Yaku hadn't meant for this to happen, he didn't actually want anyone to resign. 

Karasuno was walking onto the court, looks of confusion on their faces.

"If this is how it's gonna be then I'm done. I quit."