Chapter 22

Tadashi wasn't sure if he could go to the match. They probably wouldn't need him anyway so why did it matter? He was just a pinch server. He sucked at blocking. He could barely spike. Hell-it's not like his serve was that good anyone. Would any of them really care? He was just a benchwarmer.

But for some reason, as he watched the first group of players depart towards the stadium there was a small tug on his heart and he itched to run off with them. He loved volleyball-and he wanted to be good. Letting anything get in the way of that wasn't an option.

He would go, for himself. Not for Kuroo, or Kenma, or Kei.

This was for his team.

With a deep breath he got dressed in his uniform.

Yes, Tsukishima had always been the one person he could rely on, someone who would be there no matter what. But now he wasn't. And even though that hurt Yamaguchi more than he could say, he understood. They couldn't be together forever.

...could they?

"You coming, Yamaguchi?" Noya asked gently, extending his hand down towards his position on the floor. He grabbed the second years wrist and somehow the smaller pulled him into a standing position.

"Why not?" He replied, practically answering both questions. 

Suga smiled and wrapped an arm around him like the supportive figure he was. The second group of players set off and began following the first, Yama and Suga at the back with Daichi leading. Suddenly Yama's stomach dropped and he stopped walking. Suga smashed into him and stumbled back, but somehow Daichi managed to dart over and catch him, steadying the boy.

Suga hissed in pain but managed a quick "What's wrong?" 

"I need to go do something," he gave barely any context before running off. 

Suga blinked a few times in shock and then twisted around, grabbing Daichi's jacket and pulling him into a kiss "Thank you."

"Koshi..." muttered the raven haired captain, a soft blush covering his cheeks.

"Well, that's new." said Noya, staring at them with his mouth open.

"You better take care of my him Daichi!" Tanaka growled from the front.

Asahi didn't even glance back, he simply smiled.

Suga glanced at Daichi who looked almost uncomfortable.

"Oh come on," he nudged the taller boy, "They all knew anyway."

He shook his head with a grin "You're a dork."

"But you love me~"

"Yeah, I do."

"Okay enough," Noya made a face of disgust "Not when the children are here."

***

Yamaguchi rounded the corner and knew he had been right. He could see the blond sitting underneath the tree they had leaned against last night, headphones covering his ears as he picked apart an apricot coloured leaf.

He made his way through the wet grass, stopping a few paces away from him.

Tsukishima had his head resting against the tree's umber base, chin tilted towards the sky.

He looks so beautiful...but sad.

Yamaguchi knew what he had to do. There was only one way to get him where Yama wanted him, and he could do that by playing smart. 

Come on Tadashi, now or never.

"Kei!" he shouted. The older boys head swivelled around and he pulled off his headphones as Yamaguchi kneeled down to his height.