September 1896 (pt. 1)

September 1896; Tondo, Manila

Four years, Amelia noted. Four years have passed since she last saw her son and she wonders how he is.

The stories of the feared Mabaya (her codename) grew in the area of Manila, where both Amelia and her good friend Paloma were stationed. The Katipunan wasn't to their tastes originally, sometimes thinking with their raw strength and pride rather than with actual strategy and tactics.

But their contract was sealed as soon as they tore their cedulas (certificates) in defiance. Ironic, isn't it? It was a march to death from now on. It was their fight now.

There has been a scheduled meeting this evening, where even Supremo Maypagasa (Andres Bonifacio) himself would appear. If Amelia had a hard time corralling Paloma as a young woman, then the young man was far, far worse. It was a guarantee that something would be broken by the end of the meeting, because of his fiery passion and temper. A headstrong man, but a fool nonetheless.

It has something to do with the attack a few days ago, no doubt. The Cry of Pugad Lawin, it was called. Especially after that shameful retreat that had cost them numerous lives, there needed to be some way to start the spark of revolution that would lead to an explosion.

It could either save all of the Filipinos or destroy them.

If Amelia is glad about anything, it was that Paloma was at least not in the front lines. Where Amelia was the only woman to wear a red sash with green borders, the only woman to be titled Bayani, Paloma was wearing a green medallion with an inscribed K, helping the other women in healing and stocking up food and other supplies if need be. It does Amelia good to see Paloma as a Kawal and was finally maturing and helping out other people with a cause. Amelia looks at Paloma's fellow healers, young women and frail men who have suffered terribly under the Kastilas. She stiffened at the thought that they might've grown up similarly to how...how Amado was—

Food, Amelia decides. She's going to buy groceries. She needs to take her mind off things.

~*~

There was something comforting about the orderliness of things that greatly satisfied Amelia. It's uniformity was something that soothed her nerves. Even though she was no longer Paloma's maid nor bodyguard, there were some things that kept Amelia falling into old habits and instead of finding it being a hassle, it became a comfort. The systematic feel of control was the only thing that grounded her in a world of chaos. So she removed her Bayani sash and walked in her normal maid uniform.

It was a hot day in the marketplace, sweat shined skin as vendors hollered for customers. The air was humid and the people were loud and ready to haggle for a chance of the next cheapest deal for fish. Amelia bit back a huff as she gripped her basket of groceries tighter, in case some unfortunate fool tries to steal them from her.

'Brats', she supplies as she observed the young men that just walked by. The way they carried themselves, looking too boastful and all-knowing to be covert. Their humble barongs (traditional Filipino shirt) were smudged in dirt and their trousers muddy, but they bore smiles and grins of pride. She notices the small boy near her, not even fifteen, she guesses. All of them may be strong and hardened from working in farms and fisheries, but they were too young for the harshness of battle. 'Children are not meant to fight our wars.'

Her thoughts drift back to―

She stops herself. Amelia walks away from the marketplace.