May 1898 (pt. 2)

Amelia woke up, face down on a bed. She drearily opened her eyes and started regaining consciousness, with pain seeming to grow every second. She groaned and realized her torso had been wrapped as well as her leg, most possibly by Paloma.

"Ah, Mabaya is awake!" Speak of the devil, and she shall appear.

Paloma walked over to the bedside and started observing the bandages, "Your wounds seem fine. I had to take out three bullets but they seemed to be sanitary so you don't have to fear of infection."

"A sanitary bullet. Of course, what a delight. How lucky I am."

"Cheeky this morning, aren't we?"

"Where's Amado?"

Paloma sighed as she grabbed a shawl for Amelia to cover herself with. "He's been waiting outside for the whole time." Amelia stayed silent, then worriedly asked "He has no injuries?" Paloma shook her head, "Other than a few bruises and a sprain, he's well." Amelia gripped the shawl tighter, "Good," she says, "good." Amelia tries to sit herself up but Paloma stops her, "Ah-ah. No can do, Amelia. You're staying in bed, my orders." Amelia dejectedly stayed down, her voice being muffled by the shawl, "Since when did I listen to you?" Paloma chuckled. They fell into comfortable silence before Paloma begins to ask, "I am curious though, Amelia. Indulge me."

"Hm?"

"Where would you like to go after this?"

"I-I'm not sure."

"Really? For the first time, Mabaya doesn't have a plan."

"First time for everything then. I don't know. I don't know where I'd go."

"Well, I hope you know that I'd follow you."

"...I wouldn't be surprised. You followed me into war, like the stupid girl you are."

"And I would. Again. A thousand times again."

This irritated Amelia to no end. She barks, "I'm the one supposed to protect you, and yet here you are walking into danger!" Undeterred, Paloma smiles cheekily, "I need you by my side, Amelia. No matter what. You were always with me, there is no way I'm leaving you." Amelia huffs crossing her arms, no matter how painful. She's trying to prove a point here! "Even if I march to the edges of the damned world?"

"Even if Death takes me, I will follow you forever."

"... You really never listen, do you?"

"And you don't listen to me, either. A fair trade, don't you think?"

"Have you...have you ever found Fateryna―"

"I did not brave the war for her."

It was quiet after Paloma's bold statement. 'Oh.' was the only thing going through Amelia's mind as her heart started beating too fast and loud, sounding like a war drum. Amelia glanced around, trying to distract her mind until her gaze were placed on the vanity table where her bloodied war fan was placed. She stared for a while and nearly jumped when she heard a knock on her door. The two women stared at each other, then Paloma rose to answer the door. Amelia thought nothing of it until she heard Paloma's voice squeak: "Magdalo!" She bowed and Amelia covered herself immediately. Paloma took one last glance at Amelia before she walked out.

A few minutes later, a dejected Paloma entered the room along with Magdalo and an American. Paloma sits back down, trying to cover Amelia's half naked body as she quietly commands the men, "You are under no circumstance to stress her out. If you do, I will not hesitate to drag you out of the room." Magdalo raised his hand, "You've made your point clear. We understand." He turns his gaze downward to meet Amelia's eyes, "You've done well in my absence, Mabaya. Your country thanks you." Feeling too tired and fatigued after all the fighting made her mumble: "I didn't have a choice though." She continued, louder this time. "But thank you for your words. The Filipinos need you now." Magdalo nodded and gestured to the American behind him, a young strapping man looking at his environment critically. "I introduce, Commodore Dewey." Amelia raises an eyebrow in question, as Magdalo said "Estados Unidos are our allies now."