September 1896 (pt. 2)

September 1896; Tondo, Manila

The marketplace trip didn't soothe her nerves nor thoughts, but it did bring a bunch of new supplies to last for the next few weeks so Amelia classifies it as somewhat productive.

It was near afternoon, as a breeze of air flew through the backyard of their meeting place at an ally's house. It was soft and gentle, almost trying to calm the people of the inevitable. It didn't work.

Amelia finds the elderly woman who was the mistress of the house and bowed, "Thank you for your hospitality once again, Tandang (Respectful way of saying "Elder") Sora." The old lady smiled as the back of her hand was pressed against Amelia's forehead, "Win this war, and that will be thanks enough." Tandang Sora walked away, leaving Amelia alone with her thoughts.

It took everything within Amelia to not skin the traitor Teodoro Patiño for forcing them to advance so soon. That bastard betrayed them, went against the oath they swore to. "How...how dare he?!" She seethed to herself, 'All because of rejection and for petty revenge, he confided to his sister? Men truly have egos more fragile than glass.'

Because of Patiño's personal vendetta, he compromised the entire Katipunan. There were so many deaths at the end. Some young children, elderly, women expecting their babies, all of them never to see the next sunrise. 150 of her fellow Filipinos, either dead, tortured or imprisoned and executed.

Even now after a few weeks of their retreat, countless people wounded; the younger Kawals had to help with patrols, constantly being forced up against guardia civils. The Katipunan felt like a bubble, ready to burst at any moment. All of a sudden, everyone and could be an enemy, an infiltrator, a betrayer for the idea of faux freedom.

Amelia continued to fan herself with her favored war fan and she sees him, Supremo Maypagasa (Andres Bonifacio) confidently commanding the younger Katipons and Kawals on their next tasks. Amelia's fellow Bayanis were beside him, wearing the same red scarves symbolizing their place, all talking amongst themselves. Amelia walked closer to them and immediately felt their scrutinizing gaze on her. She stopped fanning herself and quickly snapped the fan shut, hearing a tiny metallic clank as she pressed it against her lips. Amelia bowed, "Fellow Bayanis. How do you fare?" She could hear them grumble but returned the bow in respect. One of the younger ones greets her; his name was Pingkain (Emilio Jacinto), she thinks. "We are well. Thank you for your concern, Mabaya." She looks up and down at him, observing his stance and his eyes. She gives a small nod at Pingkain and hears another man scoff, "Why are you bowing before a woman?" Amelia directs her glare to the one who spoke, but doesn't say anything.

She doesn't want to stoop to his level, not if she can help it.

~*~

The meeting went off immediately. Mostly discussing what was to happen next, since they lacked support from their allies at Cavite and didn't even respond to their call. There were heated debates over the table as other Bayanis tried to get their point across and Amelia hears chinaware break. She sighs; she's been doing that more often. 'I still have to clean this up at the end, and we aren't even getting to an agreement.'

"Abandon them!" one said. Another supplied, "Tie us together in oath! They will never disgrace their honor for that!" "How dare they!" Someone chimed in, "Is Aguinaldo a fool?!" Amelia felt her eye twitch and she spoke, "Have you lot, ever thought that maybe they had no offensive forces?" It was silent before someone snarled, "What if so? We would've had a better chance of winning with manpower." Amelia recognizes him as the man who insulted her earlier, Doctor Valenzuela.