September 1896 (pt. 3)

"What did I tell you?" Amelia's voice wavered but still held the same strictness and bite. She nearly felt bad when Amado flinched and softly replied, "I-I'd, I'd never find you." Amelia with her tired expression pushed through with reprimanding him, "I said I'd find you when the war is over. When the war is OVER!" Amelia's voice raised as she emphasized the last word, she needed him to understand that...what he's doing could lead to his death―

"But Mother, I-I want to do this!"

She stared at him before she marched over and grabbed him by the collar of his shirt. Tall as he was, Amado seemingly got terrified of a woman who seemed larger than life. "I say go back to Malolos. Stay there and wait. Enough of this foolishness! You will go home, am I understood?" Amelia trembled out of anger, out of fear, out of sadness; she felt her body try to shake out emotions she wasn't used to feeling. Amado's nervousness disappeared and was replaced by something bolder and stronger, "I will stay, Mother. I swore an oath to the country and it's people. I will serve until my last dying breath―" Amelia felt a sting in her hand and it was only then she realized she slapped him. She closed her trembling hand into a fist and spoke, "If you truly wish that, who am I to stop you? Don't dare call me your mother if you defy the ONE task I gave you!"

This led to a stunned silence as Amelia could hear his breath hitch. "How-How could you say something like that?" Amado's voice cracked as he collected his forgotten Katipon hood. He took a deep breath and covered his face once more. He walked towards the door and slowly unlocked it, but before he left he said: "I gave the manor to the Apuy faction. I would gladly give my home to people who need it more than me." He opened the door and left, leaving Amelia alone in the room.

Her uniform was a mess, her usual bun was slowly unraveling and her eyes were sore and puffy. She stares at the fireplace, barely noticing the knock on the door. "Amelia? Are you well?" Paloma opens the door to see her on the ground, and Amelia knows that she looked like an absolute mess.

Paloma scrambled to her side and clutched Amelia's hands that were still bleeding from holding the war fan too tight. Paloma searched in her pockets and found some ointment and bandages. She quickly got to work and cleaned Amelia's blood off, gently applying pressure. Amelia couldn't feel anything, her hands were numb and icy and her gaze empty and broken. The world sounded muffled and she felt Paloma hold her close, running her hands through her hair. "Oh Amelia, what happened?"

Just like that, their roles were reversed.

Amelia broke down crying again.

~*~

The minutes of meeting she's been kicked out of was sent to her room. Amelia read through the proposed solutions. 'Smuggling, cartel, contraband, the usual tax collection fee and works then.' At the end, was a message in unfamiliar writing: Mabaya, come see Supremo for your next task. ― Pingkain (Emilio Jacinto)

Amelia takes a deep breath and cleans herself up. She fixed her hair in its usual bun, held secure by a maid's bonnet. Her face was pale last night, but at least there was a slight flush to her skin now. She reached out to the closet where her uniforms are and her hand itches. She looked down at it, bandaged and now soaked.

'Don't dare call me your mother if you defy the task I gave you.'

Her words spilled out before she could even think about it. Was she ready? Was she prepared to let go of that title in Amado's life? Amelia steeled herself immediately, resolute with her thoughts.

For his safety, definitely. She had long realized she wasn't worthy of him. Hate her if he must, she wants him alive.

He goes directly to Supremo Maypagasa's room, the hallways somewhat dark even as dawn broke. She reached his door and she was set to knock when she heard someone behind her. She was greeted by the sight of a woman, and Amelia's eyes widened. She bowed to her, "Aling (Respectful way of saying "Lady") Oryang! (Gregoria de Jesús; Andres Bonifacio's wife) Pardon the intrusion." Aling Oryang smiled gently, "Mabaya, I've heard my husband has summoned you." Amelia rose from her bow and tipped her head in respect, "He has. Has Supremo told you anything?" Aling Oryang shook her head, "No, he never says things. He's been very closed off ever, ever since―" A few tears escaped Aling Oryang's eyes and Amelia rubbed her arm in comfort.