May 1898 (pt. 3)

May 1898; Cavite

"Mabuhay ang Pilipinas!" (Long live the Philippines!) The Katipuneros cried. Some of them on horseback, others on ran by foot. It was hot and humid as the sun blazed on the land below, its heat firing up the people more. Magdalo was charging ahead and Mabaya was right beside him, her revolver blazing a rain of bullets. She reloaded and fired more shots, her gaze intense.

It was total carnage, tens of thousands of Katipuneros in the stronghold over a few hundred guardia civil. Amelia struck her war fan down the back of her opponent, while blocking the blow of another.

War may have made her weary, but it also made her a monster.

She moved, and she fought. With the coldest of expressions and using any weapon she could find, throwing away all her formal training to fight with the dirtiest and cheapest of tricks and tactics in order to win. She bit hands, twisted arms, broke bones and skulls. The blood on her hands and fan didn't bother her the slightest nor weigh her down as she slew another guardia civil.

Everyone picked their loyalties and they all know where it'll all end. Amelia pities them for choosing the wrong side; she doesn't blame them for wanting to survive.

She must look terrible right now, the stench of death lingering on her whole body. She gazes at the amount of corpses strewn across the grounds.

Five hundred and twenty-four of them.

The adrenaline starts to leave her, as she gazes down on the state of her clothes. Her hands still shake, covered in crimson liquid.

The name Mabaya, red as blood, really did suit her.

She knelt to the ground and prayed. She doesn't know which damned God would accept her calls of forgiveness so she doesn't bother, instead she prays for the souls of the dead. She prayed for the ones she had killed. She looked up at the sky, the clouds drifting light and the day seemed peaceful.

It's over, it's finally over.

"MOTHER!"

Amelia turned around and only saw Amado's shadow as he shielded her. His body fell on top as she felt something warm trickling by her abdomen. It was only when Amado fell down in her arms did she see the guardia civil who stabbed him, straight through his gut.

'That... that was my burden to take!'

Her eyes widened and her face twisted in fury, as the guardia civil tugged his saber away. The son of a bitch raised his hand to throw another strike in her direction, but she couldn't move fast enough to avoid the blow. She switched positions, Amado now behind her back as the downward stroke was about to hit.

A gunshot was heard. Followed by another and another.

The guardia civil fell to the side as Amelia dared to look at her savior. In all her glory, there standing determined and brave was Paloma.

Amelia was hit by her realization. "Paloma! Paloma, please!" Paloma's eyes trailed to her back where Amado was, and she ran. She knelt beside Amelia and began to strip Amado of his shirt, seeing the wound and preparing to clean it. She could hear his shallow breaths and soft whimpering, "Mama, please. Please, I don't want to die..." Amelia's heart clenched in absolute fear and dread, and she feels Paloma scramble beside her. "No, no, no, dear anak," Paloma said quickly, tears threatening to spill from her long lashes. "You'll be fine, we're here. Your Mama and Tita Paloma are here. Don't-don't worry, baby. Shhhh."

Amado started crying, "Mama, Tita, I'm scared." His breath was starting to slow down, and his eyes were turning glassy, "Mama, please. I want to stay with you." Amelia couldn't say anything as she held him tight, something holding back her words. Paloma sat beside her and gently caressed her back, both women hoping for a miracle.

But they knew it was futile; there were no such things like miracles.

Amelia brought her bloody hands to Amado's face, her tears falling in desperation. "Please, please, please! God, take me! TAKE ME NOT HIM! ANYBODY BUT HIM!" She wailed in despair as she whimpered into Amado's collar. "The war is over, anak. We can go home. Wherever that may be. We'll find astilbe gardens, okay? Just as you've requested. We'll go together with your Tita Paloma, like we've always done. Read stories to pass time and laugh inside libraries, just as we've done at home. My boy, my son, please come back to me. There are still so many things to teach you, so much things to do." She cries and starts to shake him. Amelia takes a look at her son's face, peaceful and smiling. And the sobs retch out her body, as she quietly hummed an all-too familiar tune.

Together, you and I will always be alive,

Connected, close to you, I'll stay

As long as I can hold your hand again and again, forever

I will find my way

You may never answer back my call

But you smile back at me with grace...

Amelia felt the dam inside her broke. Now she can say the words she never got to say, she was free to scream them as loud as she wanted because at the end he would never hear her.

"Train better. Don't die. Learn well."

Somehow in a finite time, this time I'll find my way out.

"Stay safe. Open up more. Be honest. Apologize to those you have hurt."

And I see I barely reached you...

"I am proud of you. I love you, my son. Goodbye."

...and your heart...